NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Gear for sea bass marathon? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Gear for sea bass marathon?

Does anyone have any gear recommendations in terms of rod/reel and what kind of lead to stock up on for a 12hr seabass marathon on a party boat?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Gear for sea bass marathon?

A Fish Poison MH, or H $159-169
Reels Avet MX, Daiwa has some nice reels
Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you are going where I'm going Sunday have at least 8 oz sinkers for braid and 10 for mono. High low rig with 4/0 hooks. I use 4/0's to weed out the smaller porgies (I'm sure there will be more porgies than bass), but if you want them use 2/0. Use a heavier rod and reel because there will be blues and the doggies are starting to move in. I use 3/0 Senators on mh Ugly Stics.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman View Post
If you are going where I'm going Sunday have at least 8 oz sinkers for braid and 10 for mono. High low rig with 4/0 hooks. I use 4/0's to weed out the smaller porgies (I'm sure there will be more porgies than bass), but if you want them use 2/0. Use a heavier rod and reel because there will be blues and the doggies are starting to move in. I use 3/0 Senators on mh Ugly Stics.
Thanks, I think I'm going same destination as you just later in the month. I have a heavy 7' rod that I currently have a penn int'l 965 with a power handle on. Should I beef up the reel to something heavier?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC732 View Post
Thanks, I think I'm going same destination as you just later in the month. I have a heavy 7' rod that I currently have a penn int'l 965 with a power handle on. Should I beef up the reel to something heavier?
Can't comment on the reel but I like heavier stuff because you don't know what you will run into out there.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I currently have a penn int'l 965 with a power handle on. Should I beef up the reel to something heavier?
That reel will struggle with the heavier lead needed offshore. Plus the push button on those reels are notorious for failing. For around $200 the new Shimano Torium 16HG is what I recommend to people. Has the speed and the power needed for fishing 200+ft with 12-20oz lead and reeling up 2-3 jumbo seabass and/or porgies.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
That reel will struggle with the heavier lead needed offshore. Plus the push button on those reels are notorious for failing. For around $200 the new Shimano Torium 16HG is what I recommend to people. Has the speed and the power needed for fishing 200+ft with 12-20oz lead and reeling up 2-3 jumbo seabass and/or porgies.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to look for a new reel.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I used my 965 with the power handle on an 18 hour trip this year using 16-20 oz....it worked but I did have to pour some grease on it during the trip. For the one NS out of Brielle your 965 should be fine for the trip. If you have an old jigmaster laying around throw that on....it'll work much better.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm heading out on a sponsor boat this friday with my daughter, our setups are as follows:

Penn US113N on a 7'9" St. Croix musky rod
Avet JX on a 6"6' Daiwa Saltist rod
Avet HX 5/2 on a 7' St. Croix Triumph rod.

All loaded with braid 50-65lb, depending on the reel.

All the rods are good to up to 20 oz of lead, the big St. Croix will do up to 3lbs (but who wants to reel that up??).

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyed View Post
All the rods are good to up to 20 oz of lead, the big St. Croix will do up to 3lbs (but who wants to reel that up??).
Me! Bc that'd likely mean I was offshore pounding a pile of tile