NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Jersey's Offshore Wrecks - For big fish, this is where it's at! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default New Jersey's Offshore Wrecks - For big fish, this is where it's at!

(I found this little essay in my dad's papers, written decades ago. Who knows where it was published, but I'm republishing it here).

by Bruce Vitale

If you're interested in catching a giant cod or pollock that could weigh thirty or forty pounds, try an offshore wreck trip this spring. There are several New Jersey party boats now taking reservations for such exciting trips.

These offshore wrecks lie approximately 60 to 75 miles off our coastline. That's approximately a four-hour ride to these superb fishing areas. These wrecks are virtually untouched all year. With the expansion of our international fishing zones, these fishing areas can only improve with time.

You'll need a stiff rod, six or seven feet long. A reel with a fast retrieve filled with at least thirty-pound test is sufficient. Tackle consists of 12 to 16 oz. sinkers, several 16 oz. diamond jigs, large red or fluorescent teasers, and some bait hooks like #5-0 or 7-0 in gold.

I bring two rods aboard with me. I rig one with a Daiwa 400-h retrieve reel with a 16-oz. diamond jig, and tie a fluorescent orange or red teaser four feet above the diamond jig. This is my rod that will catch pollock because you have to jig for them. My other rod will be for cod which is mostly caught on whole clams. I rig one hook two feet above my sinker and tie the rod to the rail. This method has proven best because it leaves the bait motionless. Mr. Cod will hook himself.

Keeping yourself warm is the name of the game if you want to put all your time in fishing and not inside the boat keeping warm. Thermal underwear, felt-lined boots, a good coat with a hood and a pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes from the wind is in order for the day. I add extra protection by wearing my rubber rain pants.

With the luxury of today's party boats, this type of trip is a pleasure. They have heated hand rails, food and tackle aboard. The captains and mates will go all out to make your trip successful. So remember: the right tackle, warm clothes and a strong arm will make this a fishing trip of a lifetime.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: New Jersey's Offshore Wrecks - For big fish, this is where it's at!

Thanks Doug, that's a great article, I appreciate you sharing it!