NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

drag washers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default drag washers

where do you guys go (online or other) when you need replacement parts such as drag washers? The drag on my revo s pretty much gives very little drag even at very tight so i figure it needs new fiber washers. I called abu garcia and they want like $15 for three fiber washers with shipping...that can't be right haha.

I've called for bigger replacement parts for my penns and my friend's okumas and penn charged me just for the shipping on two plate covers. okuma sent me a new bail roller and arm for free no shipping! is it just the abu garcia company???
Old 01-03-2015, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: drag washers

www.smoothdrag.com
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

thanks, a little cheaper there (depending on shipping) and probably better quality
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Get a container of Cals grease and lightly coat the carbon fiber drags. The amount of grease should be just a light film and not heavy coated. Work the grease into the washer and remove all excess.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The owner of Smoothdrag is a lady named Dawn. She knows more about fishing reels and dragwashers than just about any man I know and is very helpful if you call her.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I haven't serviced a Revo yet, but if it has a carbon drag washer already, you should be able to clean it up and like someone mentioned grease it with Cal's. Just rub it with a microfiber towel. If the towel turns black that is good, means its working. Then coat with Cal's, then wipe the excess off again with the microfiber towel. Then you should be good to go.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sounds more to me like your belleville or spring washers have flattened out or the configuration is out of whack. I'd check those first. But, while you have it apart, as others have mentioned get some Cal's and do as MrAc siad. Clean up and regrease the corbontex washers. The schematic should give you the proper configuration of the bellevilles. Dawn at smoothdrag, is an excellent source for inner parts and yes, she carries bellevilles as well. I'm just not certain for the reel you have.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

it had in it the (i'm sure) cheapo whatever-fiber ones it comes with and i'm fairly sure that's the issue, but we'll find out when i replace it with good ones. The reel was free (won in a contest a few years ago) so it's just been fished as received. I've only ever cleaned it. It somehow got a fish scale on the inside of the reel once, still not sure how that happened.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Worst comes to worst, take pics and post here, we'll be happy to help.