NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

R.V. Open Water - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-21-2022, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default R.V. Open Water

I was curious about the construction at Round Valley so I drove there today just to see what was going on. I hadn't been out to the Valley for awhile and wasn't expecting to see the drawdown. When I saw the construction at both dams, I understood why. That is quite a project! It doesn't look like it will be done anytime soon. The launch ramp is very far from the water's edge but fortunately the ground is solid and there were quite a few boats on the water, which, by the way was a calm as it could be. I even saw a standup paddle boarder skimming past.

What a great release for the guys who were out there. I don't know how the fishing was but there were more boats out there than I had imagined. The weather today and the calm conditions were a real bonus for a February day in New Jersey. So, how did anyone make out?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: R.V. Open Water

From what i have heard, the plan is to be done this year and start filling in October. I spoke with a worker up there who said, the state of NJ does not what to spend the money and run the pumps to fill the lake from the south branch. I hope this is not true. If they wait for rain the fill it it would take around 25 years. I hope this is not the case. Plus the lake could really use the nutrients that filling from the SB would bring.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Way back in the day, when the reservoir was being filled, and before it was open to any boating, the fishing along the shoreline was outstanding. Smallmouth bass were everywhere along the old, exposed hedgerows from the farm fields that were now underwater. We used to park and walk in from the campground access and wade into the reservoir while wearing old sneakers and cutoffs. There was no way to avoid catching big smallmouths along with rather good-sized white perch. Trout were not introduced in any numbers back then.

The nutrients from the water being pumped in along with the vegetation that was being covered made the reservoir a very fertile breeding ground for warmwater game fish along the shoreline as well as for the burgeoning schools of herring throughout the place. Unfortunately, the increased erosion of the shore added more sediment that drastically affected the smallmouth bass population. It was hoped that Round Valley would sustain a viable smallmouth bass fishery. It got off to a good start, especially because of the rocky structure, but it never really developed into what was hoped. Rocky bottom habitat is a better breeding environment for smallmouths but the inccreased amount of silt put an end to all that.

The exposed grass and ground cover that is currently growing on the exposed lake bed along with any water that is pumped in from the river will have to put some "juice" into the overall health of the Valley and to the fish population it will support.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: R.V. Open Water

The only way I see filling that lake with water is to run the pumps.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

From what I heard is the state does not want to pay the cost of running the pumps. Some moron think it will fill with rain
Old 02-22-2022, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It can only be filled via pumping,..........in the spring when the S. Branch flows are the highest, the water is cold so the pumps do not overheat, and at night when the electricity rates are the lowest.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Are there any plans to lengthen or widen the existing ramp? If so, now is the time.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:08 AM
Site Sponsor

Was supposed to be done a while ago but they ran into problems and are dredging part of the lake…. Told another few years before they are done with the work. I have not heard anything about doing anything to the exsisting boat ramp… I will tell you guys this in the last two years I’ve seen more and more lampreys that we never had them in there before from them pumping over the last few years….
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423

Last edited by Mikey topaz; 02-23-2022 at 09:21 PM..
Old 02-23-2022, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

NJDF&W is responsible for the boat ramp. I thought that they were doing a good job of extending the ramp, by laying down stone, following the receding water line.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
NJDF&W is responsible for the boat ramp. I thought that they were doing a good job of extending the ramp, by laying down stone, following the receding water line.
Hey Mark, It’s in good shape but with the draw down and the expected delay in the water levels rising, it will be a mess when trying to launch. Ask the RVTA what they think.if the ramp can be improved, now would be the time. If it’s okay, then fine.