NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Snowy PA browns - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-20-2022, 08:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Snowy PA browns

I fished a new creek and found a bunch of hungry browns. Small but all colored up really well. Darker and more gold than the other browns i tend to catch. It was every one of them with the same color scheme and was really neat. Later that day i fished another, familiar, creek and got some better browns. More normal colors.
The bite was really good, using a 1/16th oz marabou jig intentionally long and a ton of feathers. it would sink slowly just right. Or maybe it was just chewing time with the good conditions.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Snowy PA browns

Old 12-21-2022, 01:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

BROOOOOOOWNS! Great report man, excited to get out there with you soon!
Old 12-21-2022, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Snowy PA browns

That’s some phenom catching my BROSKI! Great colors and patterns on all those beautiful Browns! Yessss!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

nice trout!

man i miss the variety of having browns stocked in NJ. i can understand discontinuing brookies to protect the native strains, but weren't they supposed to get back to browns in year 5 after the hatchery outbreak or something? did they ever cover the hatchery raceways to keep birds from bringing disease in again? we're coming up on year 9 now...
Old 12-22-2022, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
nice trout!

man i miss the variety of having browns stocked in NJ. i can understand discontinuing brookies to protect the native strains, but weren't they supposed to get back to browns in year 5 after the hatchery outbreak or something? did they ever cover the hatchery raceways to keep birds from bringing disease in again? we're coming up on year 9 now...
i think the 2023 digest magazine has an article about how the trout hatcheries work. I dont recall reading anything unfortunately about returning the stocked browns. And the aerial photos showed no covers, maybe older photos.

At this rate, I just dont even expect them anymore. Fortunately some browns and even tigers do show up, but it depends on what streams you fish. Such as if it has a bunch of club water.

Im fine with the state not bothering with browns if it means they can churn out more rainbows.
Im more committed to fishing PA now for trout anyways, dont even need to care for stocking when they are all wild fish, and the times i do fish NJ Im satisfied enough with the quality rainbows.