NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Codfish Reel - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Codfish Reel

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the site so I apologize if this has been discussed at length previously. I'm shopping for a codfish reel to match up with a Bogan 7'6 cod rod. Strongly considering the Daiwa Saltist STTLD40. Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Codfish Reel

Avet MX
Old 05-06-2014, 07:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Torium 16 or the Avet MX
Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have older Saltist 40's. They're a little large, but I've needed the line capacity in the GOM for deeper drops and when I lost yards of line to blue sharks. Around here, I'd think the Saltist 30 would be fine. Also, do you really need a lever drag for bottom fishing?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Mags...check your PM's
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a Saltist 50LD 2Speed. I can not recommend Daiwa or the Saltist reels enough! I use mine for all deep dropping and also to jig for tuna with no problem. If you are looking for strictly a cod fishing reel I would recommend the Saltist star drag (gold and black models). I also have this reel in size 35 which I also use for all ground and tog fishing but would recommend the 40 size if you are strictly looking for cod. Best bet is to put the reel sizes on the rod to feel for the balance.

Hope that helps.
Pete
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks guys. I have an Avet MXJ 5.8 that is a great reel, and I'd definitely go Avet again, but I'm hesitant because I've had to replace the bearings 3x in 3 years I've had the reel. I follow all the guidelines about maintenance and cleaning etc but after fishing hard each year, without fail, the Avet starts to sound and feel like a coffee grinder. The gear ratio on the Saltist 40 is on the higher side, 6.1:1 so I'm curious if that is enough power for the all too often doubleheader dogfish...
Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags2013 View Post
Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the site so I apologize if this has been discussed at length previously. I'm shopping for a codfish reel to match up with a Bogan 7'6 cod rod. Strongly considering the Daiwa Saltist STTLD40. Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
This reel would be Perfect for you and u can't beat the price! Dennis

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67820

Last edited by Tunarun; 05-06-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My reels are also 4.9:1, which works fine for me. I think it's the best of both worlds. I've pulled up double header pollack, both in the teens, with it. I don't know what the newer Saltists are? 6.4:1 seems high, but I've seen them on many cod/pollack trips. But I never asked how they handled.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Stick with the Avet or if you have a higher budget consider the Talica. My last offshore trip I brought my Saltist 40 which had just been oiled and greased along with my Avet SX and MXJ's which also had just been serviced. The Avets had 10x more power then the Saltist. I ended up taking the Saltist off and just using the Avets. Ended up selling the Saltist as well, lol. The 5.3/8 gear ratio of the Avets seems to be perfect and the power of them continuously amazes me. You won't look back, trust me.

Now to get your Avets to stop being coffee grinders is to take the shields off the bearings and clean and pack them with grease. You'll never have to buy another bearing again!

The Talica 8 and 10 are also great reels. There are guys that swear by them and even use the larger models for tilefish.