NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Deep Drop Tackle Advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Deep Drop Tackle Advice

Hoping for some answers here. Getting back into Tile fishing soon. I have all different tackle than the last time I went out back in 2011. I will be on a 5 man charter and am thinking about bringing along a jigging rod in addition to my bait rod in which I plan on using some heavy buck tails. I picked up an OTI 5'4", rated 80-120lb., lure 500g. Was thinking of mounting either an Avet MXL loaded with 65# braid or an Avet LX with 80# braid. Has anyone tried this rod with either of the reels I mentioned, or any advice you can offer would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Deep Drop Tackle Advice

I dropped my mxl with 50lb pp one day in like 7-800 - I wanted a larger spool- watching all that line pay out with not too much more- I'd go a bit larger than the mxl- performed well, but if we had a 4 or 5 pound day- I wouldn't be happy about it.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

From what I'm hearing from one of the regulars who fished this boat often, it's normally in 400-600, and the captain likes to shift the boat in and out of gear, thus enabling you to fish with as light a weight as possible, and from what I'm told, they usually fish 16-24 oz.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular model pole.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 AM
Site Sponsor

Come on down to Atlantic Bait and Tackle...we stock deep drop rods as well as the Daiwa Tanacom electric reels ....Sure makes reeling a lot easier......Pete

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Maxel OSL12 has been our top selling Tile Reel this year. Plenty of capacity, easy to fish with narrow spool and it balances out nice, keeping it light.

Heres the thing with fishing jigs for tile..... never know when your gonna find a tuna! May need some extra line on the spool!!!

Below is a tuna jigged up 20 feet from bottom on a tile trip. Using one of our OMT 28oz bucktails!!!!!!

Another thing is the rod itself. When balanced out, our customers have been going crazy over the longer rods. We build a 7'6" nanocarbon rod that is lightweight, will fish 8ozs - 40ozs the same and is also used for deep sea bass trips and halibut trips out west too. Depending on the boat, the longer rod is a big advantage.

Here in NJ, your not fishing 1,000' for tiles that often. Jigs also work very well here in NJ because of the shallower depths fished. We have found that UV treated jigs are catching the fish. UV is effective to at least 650' of water,.

Last edited by JerseyCoast; 05-05-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

65 lb line is way over the head of an MXL. The small Avets are nice, but really are light-duty.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
The Maxel OSL12 has been our top selling Tile Reel this year. Plenty of capacity, easy to fish with narrow spool and it balances out nice, keeping it light.

Heres the thing with fishing jigs for tile..... never know when your gonna find a tuna! May need some extra line on the spool!!!

Below is a tuna jigged up 20 feet from bottom on a tile trip. Using one of our OMT 28oz bucktails!!!!!!

Another thing is the rod itself. When balanced out, our customers have been going crazy over the longer rods. We build a 7'6" nanocarbon rod that is lightweight, will fish 8ozs - 40ozs the same and is also used for deep sea bass trips and halibut trips out west too. Depending on the boat, the longer rod is a big advantage.

Here in NJ, your not fishing 1,000' for tiles that often. Jigs also work very well here in NJ because of the shallower depths fished. We have found that UV treated jigs are catching the fish. UV is effective to at least 650' of water,.

Tom do you have the Maxel OSL12 in left handed in stock? I am hoping to get down to you by Fri.
Richie

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

More coming in mid week. The lefty is only available in Silver/Gunmetal