NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Jigs - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Fluke Jigs

Any Ideas As To What Type Of Clear Top Coat To Finish The Jigs With Now That They Have Been Powder Coated. I Have Heard Of Several Things From A One Part Epoxy To Useing Cheap Spray Paint Type Clear Shellac . Anybody Have Any Ideas???? Names Of Products Would Be Very Helpful.
Thanks, Tom
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fluke Jigs

If you have invested time into powder coating and making your own jigs, the last thing I would do is use a cheap finish!!! Your taking all of that work and tossing it out the window!

Fishermen come in all shapes & sizes..... some go all out, others cheap out! A spray epoxy, or one part epoxy is not lasting too long. I think a 2 part mix is your best bet. I do rods, not lures, but Im sure a quick google search will reveal some products.

You can find 2 part epoxy for a few bucks. Stay away from the cheap 1 parts, or spray ons....... they are not going to last at all. Why ruin all of the work you have done?? PM me for info, I dont want to list something from a non sponsor or anything.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ciuba
Any Ideas As To What Type Of Clear Top Coat To Finish The Jigs With Now That They Have Been Powder Coated. I Have Heard Of Several Things From A One Part Epoxy To Useing Cheap Spray Paint Type Clear Shellac . Anybody Have Any Ideas???? Names Of Products Would Be Very Helpful.
Thanks, Tom
Tom the purpose of powder coating is not to have to use a product to seal the jigs..it gives a very durable finish once baked and cured properly.
The jig can be fished as is--the top coat is either for a shiny appearance or to seal the wrap of the threads.
you can find a good one part at cabela's or bass pro but again it is for appearance. Keep in mind if you fish rocky bottom or sticky bottom the finish will scuff and chip...the sealer will help to prolong this if you want it to look better longer, it won't make the jig fish any better though..THAT's up to you!!LOL!

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have always thought about doing the same, then realize i sometimes go through 12 or more jigs in a single outing to the rough stuff, so why even waste the time.

Powder paint them and your golden, dont worry about making them last long, because you will lose them before you need to even worry about it!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

After tying them up I dip them in clear lacquer to coat the wraps and seal the eyes.... "Sportfishingusa" is right there not going to last forever if your fishing them in all the right places.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You can use devcon 2ton epoxy. But I agree with the rest, the PC is good enough. sometimes its a good idea though to coat the eyes with the epoxy to keep them from falling off.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Use the 2 part epoxy, can be obtained at Michael's or at craft stores very reasonable in price.$14/box and can do several jigs per batch....baking the powder paint will cure it well and prevent chipping, the coating will add that much more to it. (Sorry, not aware of any sponsors who carry this product, if so apologize)
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com