NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Montauk Cod Methods - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Montauk Cod Methods

Reel

I recommend a Penn 4/0 sized reel loaded with 40-50lb mono. line or 65-85lb braid. This reel will match the rod you are using and make life easy for you.

I agree with everything you said except the reel. the fact is that the penn 4/0 or the like is totally outdated a dinosaur if you will. there are so many reels out there that have better drags,better gear ratio and are way lighter and in turn fishermen friendly. why not rec. reels like canyon,avets, shimanos and diawa among others all of which are half the weight of the 4/0 type reels. but still can do the job.

just my .02
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by arat
Reel

I recommend a Penn 4/0 sized reel loaded with 40-50lb mono. line or 65-85lb braid. This reel will match the rod you are using and make life easy for you.

I agree with everything you said except the reel. the fact is that the penn 4/0 or the like is totally outdated a dinosaur if you will. there are so many reels out there that have better drags,better gear ratio and are way lighter and in turn fishermen friendly. why not rec. reels like canyon,avets, shimanos and diawa among others all of which are half the weight of the 4/0 type reels. but still can do the job.

just my .02
The penn 4/0 is an example. I like them because they work well, are not expensive and last for years. They make easy work of a cod double header as well.

The 4/0 weighs 28 or 30 oz depending on which one you have.

There are many reels that will work. This is a suggestion. Use what works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks for your input.

Leif
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i like that 4/0 too.it can take allot and they never quit.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i use a 3/0 for cod and would rather have than any other high tech reel out there today. with all the new and fancy parts they have, there is so much that can go wrong. a busted reel 20 miles offshore is not exactly the best thing.

keep it simple, less parts = less that can go wrong

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I can't speak for everyone but in all the years and all the trips I have been on I have only had one reel break on me ever. POS calcutta biggest piece of garbage I ever bought.

other then that I have never blown up a reel. IMHO if you maintain your tackle it will not fail you.

all I know is that I will put a Trinidad 14 or canyon HS15 up against any reel on the market. anything from porgies to medium Tunas.

3/0s and 4/0s may last a long time but it also takes way longer to get your line in they weigh much more then newer reels and have less drag for when you hook a monster all that equals NO THANKS lol.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker dunker
i like that 4/0 too.it can take allot and they never quit.
Had mine for almost 30 years and still strong. Your are right BD, they never quit.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cod%20Mass%206.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	45575