NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

20-40 mile "Wreckommendations" - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 20-40 mile "Wreckommendations"

There are quite a few sponsors that run or will be running these type of trips this winter. The fishing over the past few years has been good as the cod and Pollock catches have increased. Ling fishing has been good as well and

The experts like the Paramount, Jamaica II, Voyager and Gambler amongst others can put you on the fish, the rest is up to you.

In an effort to make these trips more productive, I put a post together of specific recommendations for these 20-40 wreck trips. I have a few strategies and tips that I think would greatly improve the catches on this type of trip.

Using the appropriate equipment, adjusting strategies and having realistic expectations for these trips can make them more enjoyable and productive.

These recommendations are directed toward those who have not made this type of trip, do not know what to do and would like to try it. Also to those who have not fished for a while and anyone else that wants to listen. I typically fish for Cod on these trips and use larger 7/0-8/0 hooks.

You can take advantage of all species by considering the following recommendations:

PREPARATION IS KEY:

Proper rod and reel

20-50lb 7-8ft rod equiped with a suitable reel like a Penn Jigmaster or 4/0 sized reel loaded with new 30-40lb mono or 65lb braid.

Do not bring a traditional spinning outfit on these trips. You are wasting your time and others. The exceptions are the new "hightech" rods and reels which are small, light and very strong and expensive)

Cod rigs:

High /Low 2 hook Cod rig 80lb leader 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks on 6in dropper loops.
I use 6 inch Pink Tsunami Squids or Pink ,red or glow 3-4 inch skirts

Pollock rigs:

10-12 oz Jigs tied on 80lb leader with a tube type teaser tied 2 feet above on a 6 inch dropper or tied in with 2 clinch knots. (Some nice pollock have been caught on bait as well on the high hook using squid or clam.) Use the same type of Cod rig, but with just one hook tied 4 ft above the sinker and try a whole Squid.

Ling rigs:

One 1/0-3/0 snelled Gamakatsu Circle Hook or J hook tied on 10in of 50lb test right above the sinker. Use small baits!! Just the string part of the clam or siphon part. You WILL catch lots of ling if they are there.

Cod /Pollock/ ling rigs (everything rig)

This rig will give you the best shot at whats out there. This may be the most productive rig for this type of trip. Simply a 2 hook rig tied on 60lb. leader material. One 6/0-7/0 Gamakatsu or other very sharp hook tied on a 6in dropper with choice of teaser 3-4 feet above the sinker. The second hook is a Gamakatsu or similar 2/0-3/0 Circle hook or J Hook with a small piece of clam on it. (Strings or siphon or small strip) The High hook will catch Cod or Pollock. The small hook will catch ling. If the small hook gets stuck pull hard and it will bend out. Also circle hooks seem to get stuck less and the ling will hook themselves. The small bait insures the ling will suck it in and get hooked.

I noticed the guys that caught a varitey of fish were using a rig similar to the one above. Because you never know what your going to get, this may be a good choice. You can change the rig by using 3/0-5/0 hooks as well. This way you have a better chance to land a cod if you get one on the bottom hook but may increase your odds of getting stuck as well.

Sinkers

I use 8-20oz Bank or Flat on these trips. Mostly 10-14oz. I have been using the flat sinkers on the last three trips and only lost one. That includes the kids as well. It may be a coincidence but I like the flats sinkers.

Tips

1) If the Dogfish are around and you can't deal with them take off the teaser or just fish the bottom hook and use clam only.

2) Prepare in advance. Have all your rigs ready and organized seperately. I use little zip-lock bags so the rigs don't tangle. Check your reel, line rod, ect. Properly functioning equipment saves time and makes the trip more enjoyable.

3) Check the weather, moon, overall forecast and dress appropriately. Full moon, new moon= in most cases stronger current and requires heavier sinkers.

4) Ask questions, the mates will be glad to explain and help if you ask. They are here to help. If you don't ask you won't get an answer.

5) Have realistic expectations and expect to change your strategy. These wreck trips have a lot of variables. Some trips are good some are bad. That is Winter fishing in general, It's been like that for years. Most of these spots have some life on them and in some cases a good batch of ling will save the day. I feel that if I catch one or two cod and few ling, that is a good trip. Add a Pollock and its a great one.

6) I have been having success with the pink tsunami 6in squids and the Pink/Red skirts on the droppers. Give them a try. Any comments or questions are welcome. I am open to learn as well. I just like to fish and share what I know so other people will go and be successful.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squid Cod Rig 2.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	30520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Best_of_cod_16.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	30521   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	30522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Squid Cod Rig.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	30523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Angler 13.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	30524  

Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 20-40 mile "Wreckommendations"

Might try to hook up with you guys for a cod trip or two in the winter- see if we can have another great year with the baccala- this summer was nothing short of outstanding for the cod!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to these upcoming trips.

"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

"A bad day of fishing turns into a good day of drinking" ����
Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

jiggem up!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

1 additional tip donate all pout, eels, dogfish, ravens, bergalls to the jmurr community cooler seen below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jmurr fish only.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	30526  

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Couldn't of said the Ling/Cod/Pollock rig any better. Only rig i fish when i do wreck trips, 1 on the bottom, 1 or 2 high.

Also something maybe wanna be added on, GULP! 3inch pink squids or mullet on the hooks. I fish with 3/0 hooks so it is good size for the GULP if your fishing bigger hooks for cod or pollock go with a bigger GULP.

And Jmurr i finally figured out why your profile picture and pictures that Capt. Wayne or Jerry post look so familiar. I was fishing next to you on the D last summer or 2 summers ago, you were the first one to raise their hand when i would pull up a conger eel and ask anyone if they wanted it.
And fish way to much.

Last edited by BigBassJim; 12-16-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassJim
And Jmurr i finally figured out why your profile picture and pictures that Capt. Wayne or Jerry post look so familiar. I was fishing next to you on the D last summer or 2 summers ago, you were the first one to raise their hand when i would pull up a conger eel and ask anyone if they wanted it.
yep that was me I loves da dirty Dizzle where else can i get banana cod and ravens in AUgust!

Murr722@gmail.com

CHAMPION

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

To bad you weren't on the boat 2 weeks ago, i had a massive sea raven. I didn't know what to do with talked to Mike for a bit he said they are kinda tasty, its in the freezer right now, if you were there it would of went in your cooler.
And fish way to much.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassJim
To bad you weren't on the boat 2 weeks ago, i had a massive sea raven. I didn't know what to do with talked to Mike for a bit he said they are kinda tasty, its in the freezer right now, if you were there it would of went in your cooler.
filet it broil it in butter for 10 minutes tastes like monkfish!

Murr722@gmail.com

CHAMPION

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Alright man I'll give it a shot.
And fish way to much.