NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

How to catch more ling on a party boat. - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: How to catch more ling on a party boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan W
Great tips there erik- I like the idea of a pout strip when the trash fish are thick. This weekend we had so many bergall strips that we didn't need the pout strips, but they look like they might work.

I did have a couple of 3/0 gami baitholders break on me over the weekend when using pliers to get them out of the pout (I even broke one with my bare hands). I do have some 4/0's that I'll try when larger ling are around, but if they are just smaller models, then I'll stick with my 2/0's to try to grab them too. I do think that the hooks on droppers work OK for me, but I'd love to try your rig. Can you explain further how to do the overhand knot with the sinker loop? I'm a little confused about that one.

As far as the higher dropper, I do find that ling do hit it. Sometimes wrecks have contour, and so the ling swim along the top shelf and then see the bait on the top hook as the sinker rests on the bottom, so they grab the top hook. I have also heard of where the ling were swimming like 5 feet off the bottom in schools and if you were on the bottom you weren't catching.

Great tips there to help put more ling in the box!

Once you learn it, this rig is very easy to tie in a pinch. The first thing you need to do is to snell some hooks on 8-12 inch leaders with a perfection loop tied on the other end opposite from the snelled hook. Do this ahead of the trip--make however many you think you will need for the trip.

Once you have your leadered hooks, you are ready to tie the rig. Attach mono leader to braided line via swivel or topshot with uni to uni knot just like you would do with any other rig. This is your choice.
On the other end of the leader, tie a double overhand knot to create a loop for the sinker. Now put the sinker on the loop. Next, make a loop with your fingers in the doubled line just above the sinker. Now put the perfection loop of the snelled hook through the loop in your fingers followed by threading the hook through the perfection loop and pull tight. This will attach the hook to the main line. Now adjust the height of the perfection loop (sliding) and secure it by tying another double overhand knot with the sinker (over the top). This will keep the perfection loop secured to the main line. That's all. This is known as the Belmar rig. Now that your bottom hook is ready, you can now tie a dropper loop about 18" above the sinker and add your top hook. I know this is difficult to put into words, but hopefully this is clear.

Another rig I like to use is a double hook tandem rig. This is when there are 2 hooks on the bottom. I like to use this rig when there are only ling in a spot without any cod or seabass. It gives you a better chance by putting 2 baits in the strike zone. Everything is the same as far as rigging goes, except that you put 2 hooks on your leader material by snelling the first one (like normal) and then tying a dropper loop about 5 inches above the snell. You can now attach another hook onto that and then just tie the perfection loop on the other end and you will be good to go. Attach it to the main line in the same way you do with a Belmar rig.

I'm sure that your rig setup is fine as long as the dropper loop is very close to the sinker. I like the Belmar rig because I can tie it in about 30 seconds and it is strong. This is the rig I use for blackfishing too. You want to make sure that you have a hook that is on or near the bottom because that is where the majority of the ling are found.
Good luck.
Erik

Last edited by Ling Slinger; 08-11-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I tied up a couple of those rigs. The directions were very good. I already knew the knots, so it was a pretty simple process to make them up. I've fished this rig before (It was tied for me by John chev of the voyager when I got stuck so many times I ran out of rigs), and it really doesn't tangle much at all, particularly when tied on stiff leader. That being said, I will give it a try, but plan on sticking with my droppers for now. I tie one RIGHT above the sinker (so that the hook hangs at sinker length or lower). I found that this setup tangles less and results in more fishing time. Plus, I can tie it in advance, so I can just snap on/snap off when I have to bust out of the bottom.

This rig might be the best option when blackfishing (I've never blackfished, so I don't know), but I still think that droppers work best for ling. I will give this a try if it seems to be out- catching my droppers though. I will put some snells in my tackle box though (I put them in pool noodle, which holds them quite well.)

I've cought many ling on my setup (usually high hook on most trips, so I actually like it better than the belmar rig). Mine routinely outfishes the belmar rig, but I think that there may be days where it will work better. It's still better to be able to tie different types of rigs so that you can adjust when conditions get nasty. Plus, I know a blackfish setup for when it's tog time .

Thanks for the tips!

Ryan
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

using pout and ravens for bait wtf has this world come too

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I tied up a couple of those rigs. The directions were very good. I already knew the knots, so it was a pretty simple process to make them up. I've fished this rig before (It was tied for me by John chev of the voyager when I got stuck so many times I ran out of rigs), and it really doesn't tangle much at all, particularly when tied on stiff leader. That being said, I will give it a try, but plan on sticking with my droppers for now. I tie one RIGHT above the sinker (so that the hook hangs at sinker length or lower). I found that this setup tangles less and results in more fishing time. Plus, I can tie it in advance, so I can just snap on/snap off when I have to bust out of the bottom.

This rig might be the best option when blackfishing (I've never blackfished, so I don't know), but I still think that droppers work best for ling. I will give this a try if it seems to be out- catching my droppers though. I will put some snells in my tackle box though (I put them in pool noodle, which holds them quite well.)

I've cought many ling on my setup (usually high hook on most trips, so I actually like it better than the belmar rig). Mine routinely outfishes the belmar rig, but I think that there may be days where it will work better. It's still better to be able to tie different types of rigs so that you can adjust when conditions get nasty. Plus, I know a blackfish setup for when it's tog time .

Thanks for the tips!

Ryan

To each his own I guess. It is definitely good to know a variety of rigs for different situations though. I would strongly suggest using a belmar rig when there are lots of dogs around though, as they will hit any elevated bait off of the bottom, and a low hook resting on the bottom will give you the best chance of avoiding them and getting to the ling. Other than that, it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

However for blackfish, you would definitely want to use a rig where the hook is below the sinker lying on the bottom. The objective is to make your crab look as natural as possible resting on the bottom in the rocks/wreck. If your crab is elevated off the bottom, it will look unnatural and the tog won't hit it, unless they're suicidal. lol
Erik

Last edited by Ling Slinger; 08-13-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree with the dogs. I have caught with the other (the hook does hang below the sinker with the droppers). I mean, we're not talking rocket science here- it's ling fishing. That being said, I have added the belmar rig to my arsenal and I have hooks now pre-snelled in my tackle box so that If I have to use it I can. Thanks for the directions on how to tie this thing up!

Catch 'em up!

Ryan
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I agree with the dogs. I have caught with the other (the hook does hang below the sinker with the droppers). I mean, we're not talking rocket science here- it's ling fishing. That being said, I have added the belmar rig to my arsenal and I have hooks now pre-snelled in my tackle box so that If I have to use it I can. Thanks for the directions on how to tie this thing up!

Catch 'em up!

Ryan
No problem man. I'm glad I could help. Thanks for sharing your advice too and good luck the next time you go.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I tend to use 2/0 baitholders on a high-lo until the bite tapers off. Then if the spot isn't ultra-sticky, I use my flounder rig with #2 hooks on light line. I seem to catch some nice fish on this after the main bite has stopped, maybe the fish get spooky. As for hook size and cod, I just haven't seen enough large cod to worry about hook size. Biggest one I've seen since the winter was 8lbs and most are within 3" of the size limit. I have caught a few keepers on my #2 hooks and 15lb line with no problems.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: How to catch more ling on a party boat.

ling is a excellent bait for ling...catch a small one...cut it in strips and use it for bait...it works well!