NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

WANTED: Killies, alive not dead - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up WANTED: Killies, alive not dead

How many killies never make it to the deep alive as part of your offering? They are a pretty hardy bait. But, far too often, many succumb to the heat or lack of oxygen, rather quickly.

First let's explore the usual options and their shortcomings. The floating keeper: Works well but, how many times have you started steaming for another drift, and realized nobody pulled the bait keeper back on board? Once retrieved you find out half of your ammo has escaped. Oh sure, manufacturers have developed better locking mechanisms but, they only work when the users "lock" the door. And, depending how late you realized the error and how fast you were traveling, you are bound to wind up with floaters. Moreover, they aren't very practical on party boats. Next, portable aerators:These are fine as long as you change the water often, very often. And, when it is blistering hot, it becomes an almost futile exercise of changing water as opposed to actual fishing. Even still, there are the ever present floaters. Plus, the cost of batteries adds up over the season. Additionally, it requires a rather cumbersome container, which isn't the steadiest when rough seas are an issue. Ideally, an on board livewell will fit the bill as water turnover always keeps the oxygen levels steady. However, how many party boats have a live well? Even if they did, how could you determine yours from the other patrons? Not practical.

Here is a foolproof tip that will keep your hard earned investment alive through even the hottest, longest day.There is a reasonable, worthwhile, onetime cost, associated with this method. I have been using it for about twenty years now and it has proven to be the best possible way of keeping killies alive, time and time again. A note of thanks to my buddy Dave for letting me in on this valuable tip. It has made the difference on many a trip. When it would get late in the day and all others had their ammo die off. I'd still have some pretty perky baits at the ready. This method works well on private and party boats. And, eliminates the need to run and clean the livewell.

Materials needed: 1 - hard cased six-pack cooler (insulated, attached lid preffered), 1 or 2 hard ice reusable ice paks, 1 hand towel. The attached lid allows for easy one-handed opening/closing. 2 ice paks are a must for back to back days of fishing, so they can be properly frozen and at the ready.

When you make your cooler and ice pak selection, try to find an ice pak that will cover as much cooler bottom as possible, but not snug. Look around, there are some that are a real nice fit, others not so good.

Freeze your ice paks for at least twenty-four hours, before using. Clean the cooler thoroughly before using. The morning of fishing, remove your ice pak from the freezer, position it in the bottom of the six-pack cooler. Run the hand towel under cold water and wring it out till wet but not dripping. Fold it into quarters, twice folded. You want to wind up with four levels of towel. Place the wet towel into the cooler onto the ice pak taking the precaution to have it run up the sides of the cooler, not down into the gaps surrounding the ice pak. If it goes into the gaps the smaller baits become trapped and sometimes suffocate or can become crushed when the ice pak shifts. Newspaper, again wet, not dripping can be substituted for the towel. Try to get a thickness af about 3/4 of an inch. This is a crucial step, as too much newspaper and the ice will be insulated from keeping the bait cool. Too little and the bait will freeze. When the inside temperature tends to be on the colder side. The baits may appear to be dead. They're not, they are just slowed down. However, once placed in the water they "wake up" and swim like Olympic sprinters. Similar to eels that have been kept on ice. That is not to say don't take precaution not to let them freeze! Frozen = dead!

Take the cooler to the bait shop and hand it over to be filled. This method has kept anywhere from a 1/2 pint up to a quart lively on some steamy, up to twelve hour juants.

Hint: When going into the cooler focus on the one you want and pick it out. Don't allow members of your party to "paw" through the bait. Hands can become pretty dirty throughout the day, that tends to cause some casualties when over handled. Simply, pick one out and put it on the hook. Always use a clean towel or fresh newspaper. Yesterdays news, or towel will develop bacteria and cause the bait to die, if reused. Always clean and air dry your cooler after each use and keep the lid opened during storage.

Pete
Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: WANTED: Killies, alive not dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Here is a foolproof tip that will keep your hard earned investment alive through even the hottest, longest day.There is a reasonable, worthwhile, onetime cost, associated with this method. I have been using it for about twenty years now and it has proven to be the best possible way of keeping killies alive, time and time again. A note of thanks to my buddy Dave for letting me in on this valuable tip. It has made the difference on many a trip. When it would get late in the day and all others had their ammo die off. I'd still have some pretty perky baits at the ready. This method works well on private and party boats. And, eliminates the need to run and clean the livewell.
Spot on. I too have used this methind for at least 20 years, in the exact same manner you describe, both on party boats, and my own boats, and it's the ONLY way to keep killies in my opinion.

Quote:
Newspaper, again wet, not dripping can be substituted for the towel.Pete
Scratch the newspaper and go with the wet towel, always. The wet towel is vastly superior to newspaper, and everyone has scrap towels around the house.

Quote:
This method has kept anywhere from a 1/2 pint up to a quart lively on some steamy, up to twelve hour juants.
Pete
If I may add, I've kept killies alive and healthy for a 24 hour period plus a second consecutive day fishing, probably 30 hours total. Just always keep the cooler in the shade, in the boat and otherwise. And if you have a killie keeper, at the days end, just empty your killies back into the keeper, and they're none the worse for their wear. Just keep them well fed in the killie keeper, and they last a long time if they are not overcrowded. They love all the scraps from the fluke you clean, cocktail blue scraps, fillets, etc. They're like pirahnas when you throw most any kind of fish flesh into a killie keeper.

'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't.' - Ronald Reagan
Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I may have to try this, my yellow bait bucket hasn't left the closet in a couple years now. Too cumbersome. And I find the aerators clumsy as well. This method seems perfect.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

All great stuff.

Instead of towel or newspaper, take a platstic cutting board(sorry, don't know the technical name of a plastic cutting board) and cut to the size of the inside of your cooler and it can be dropped in and lay flat on the ice but kind of snug to the sides. Drill holes in the board to allow the cold air to come up but small enough so killies don't fall in. Place killies on the board. They stay alive all day.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: WANTED: Killies, alive not dead

Harmon Cove - Secaucus

All the killies you want.....some real honkers too...better than 3"

Umbrella net with a dead butterfish in the middle, just stay off the railroad tracks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harmon2.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	23650  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

great post. My grandfather taught me the same thing.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
Harmon Cove - Secaucus

All the killies you want.....some real honkers too...better than 3"

Umbrella net with a dead butterfish in the middle, just stay off the railroad tracks....
lol i worked for the phone company up the road from that building and its sinking so fast that one year we could dive our trucks under the palce to get to secausus rd and the following year the change the clearance hight by 2 inches and it was a no go, but there is plenty of bait up there.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

hey i was plannin on goin flukeing on sat where can i pick up some cheap or free( if i catch um) killies
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Curious!
No one mentioned water. Do you add water?
If so how much or place killies on cold wet towel?
Andrew
________
Mercedes-Benz O405 History

Last edited by andrewotb; 03-10-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewotb
Curious!
No one mentioned water. Do you add water?
If so how much or place killies on cold wet towel?
Andrew
No water, just place killies on wet towel as described. Killies don't need water, they are capable of gulping air, and the cold slows down their metabolism so they require even less air to survive. Makes them much easier to grab and put on the hook also, and they come alive instantly when dropped into the water.

'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't.' - Ronald Reagan