NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Teasers? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Site Moderator

Default Re: Fluke Teasers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANO
Reelron

Try this knot call the KIWI Dropper Loop - retains about 90 percent of line strength VS. the 50 - 60 that the conventional dropper loop is. Try it a few times and you will see that it's really quite easy.

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishin...ing_knots.html

I'll try that one. If I don't tie the dropper loop correctly, it becomes like a slip knot and weakens the line when pulled tight. I've seen the figure 8 fail a lot!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach
I'll try that one. If I don't tie the dropper loop correctly, it becomes like a slip knot and weakens the line when pulled tight. I've seen the figure 8 fail a lot!

but some extra loops in that baby, i do a six wrap dropper.. that baby does not come out very often!!!

Also mike i would not recommend it on any leader under 20lbs.. 20lbs would be my smallest diameter i would do it on!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
but some extra loops in that baby, i do a six wrap dropper.. that baby does not come out very often!!!

Also mike i would not recommend it on any leader under 20lbs.. 20lbs would be my smallest diameter i would do it on!

I'm tawkin about after you've done your wraps and are pulling it taut.......I've had issues with one side not catching and it becoming a slip knot. THEN the leader is clearly weakened.

Hell.......y'all "no" I don't use gulp and go without a teaser half the time. I have enuf trouble catching my one fish on the jig without worrying about managing a second hook. Not like I"m gonna catch a 2nd fish, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smiling bill.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	22283  
Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach
I'm tawkin about after you've done your wraps and are pulling it taut.......I've had issues with one side not catching and it becoming a slip knot. THEN the leader is clearly weakened.

Hell.......y'all "no" I don't use gulp and go without a teaser half the time. I have enuf trouble catching my one fish on the jig without worrying about managing a second hook. Not like I"m gonna catch a 2nd fish, right?

LAB LIMIT!! haha

Make sure you wet the line generously with spit. then you have to put the loop between your teeth and pull that as well as the main main leader on both sides equally! come on you got this!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM

What time is knot tying class this week?

Spit on it Mikey... it likes it wet.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've used a fly like the clouser tipped with bait, Gulp product, soft plastics like the Tsunami split-tails, etc as a teaser. Generally just tie a dropper loop above the bucktail and slip it on. As mentioned, lighter lines may not be the best choice for this teaser method and thicker leaders can make threading the loop through the teaser's hook eye a pain.

Had a few seasons where the teaser seemed to produce well but last few seasons, atleast in Raritan Bay, I just been fishing the bucktail by itself and doing well. Try to go as light as I can so using 10# test and under braid/superlines with a 3'-6' mono leader in 10-20# test. Good numbers overall and still putting nice keepers into the boat. 95% of the time the bucktail is just tipped with a 4" Gulp swim mullet.

Oceanside the teaser does seem to work much better, but in the bay it sometimes attracts mostly birds and rats. Lots of blues around now so they could reak havoc one fluke season opens up
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Something I haven't seen posted here, using holographic squid fluke rigs as the teaser. Check out ebay, plenty on there from various makers. Have seen some doormats caught on these personally and have stocked up for this year's trips.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Tied these up some years ago:

Name:	squidteaser.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	22284
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishtale

Had a few seasons where the teaser seemed to produce well but last few seasons, atleast in Raritan Bay, I just been fishing the bucktail by itself and doing well. Try to go as light as I can so using 10# test and under braid/superlines with a 3'-6' mono leader in 10-20# test. Good numbers overall and still putting nice keepers into the boat. 95% of the time the bucktail is just tipped with a 4" Gulp swim mullet.

Oceanside the teaser does seem to work much better, but in the bay it sometimes attracts mostly birds and rats. Lots of blues around now so they could reak havoc one fluke season opens up
There are two ways of bucktailing...using a heavy jig plus a teaser above it and jigging almost vertically. The other way is using a light bucktail only, cast ahead of the drift on a spinning setup doing the little twitch as it is slowly retrieved. The guys that do the latter well (I'm not one of them) catch a lot of fluke, but a lot seem to be short.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Fish heavy enough and you'll be up-and-down, fish light jigs and you gotta work at it more to keep it in the fluke's strike zone. Teaser or no teaser, just a choice. It's all bucktailing though.

Don't limit yourself thinking those are the only two ways of doing it.

Want a teaser you don't have to worry about rebaiting, drying out, and just keep in any tackle box/bag easily? Slip one of these on and forget it until you have a fish on. (or when it gets tangled in the net)

Name:	tsunamisplittail.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	22292