NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Penn Senator Rods - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Penn Senator Rods

Can they be used for stand up? Or are they specifically for trolling?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Penn Senator Rods

Since no one else chimed in, I'll add my 2cents. Simple answer is yes. I've seen guys use those old broom sticks for just about everything. Of course there are better options, but if you own them they will work. But if you are going to be buying them, def consider stopping at one of the local sponsors and ask them to show you something they recommend in your price range.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yes they can. Depending on the model you have, they may be an excellent stand up rod. Here is a little history on this type of rod and how marketing has more effect than the actual products do.

Years back, when these glass rods were used, there was never much of a complaint. Yes, they were heavy in weight because of the materials, but they were ideal for fighting big fish.

Then graphite and other composites come along, with a fast action "stand up" rod thanks to the marketing guru's and everybody is on the stand up kick!

Fast forward another 10-15 years to the present and we now see the big surge with "parabolic jigging & popping rods" made out of nano technology. The truth is.... these parabolic $600 rods are nothing more than the same exact actions of that "broom stick" you asked about, but made from lighter materials.

So... if todays jigging rods are the best option as the pros claim..... your rods will do just fine, except they will weigh a lil bit more. ( if in a harness.... who cares???)

The downfall to the Senator Rods is usually the components used, not so much the action or power of them. If they were to use better guides, you would have a much more expensive rod there.

If you want my Honest 2 cents...... I like that slow action much more than the fast tip action. I feel it offers a better hook set, less chance of line snapping if you lock the drag up and its much easier on your arms when fighting a fish. Having the top 1/3 of the rod absorb the pressure and a solid broom stick down the last 2/3 of the rod is going to tire you out more IMO. When the entire rod blank absorbs the pressure..... its better for you.

Guys may disagree, so this is just my 2 cents here. But if you go back and look at the history..... I am not saying anything that's not true as far as the original actions. Today's rods have done nothing more than reinvent the wheel, by using lighter materials.

Depending on the models.... you may never want to replace the rods, maybe just upgrade some guides.... who knows...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys. I got the new Penn Senator to match with the 9/0. I wanted something cheap so I just kind of ordered these because of the name. I will be using them for everything from sharking to tuna to trolling. Didnt realize I posted this twice.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots View Post
Thanks guys. I got the new Penn Senator to match with the 9/0. I wanted something cheap so I just kind of ordered these because of the name. I will be using them for everything from sharking to tuna to trolling. Didnt realize I posted this twice.

If they are newer.... you will be ok. Watch the rating on the rods and do not exceed it. With a Senator, at times you will find the drag locking up. ( sometimes... not on all of them). If it should lock up and exceed the rating of the rod, it can be an issue. But the Senator Rods are made for abuse, so dont over think this, just be aware of it. The reel is not going to produce too much drag if working properly. ( just be careful if you ever upgrade the reels)

All in all..... they will be just fine. The slow action is not going to hurt you. Best of luck with them and post some pics to to show us how we dont need million dollar tackle to land fish!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Haha will do!

Thanks again

Justin