NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spring Trout Closure - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Spring Trout Closure

I liked the "covid trout stocking/management plan" that said I think the management part became the issue. Having limited resources to police the preseason C&R I think became a challenge (again the a subset of selfish people unwilling to abide by the game laws ruin it for the rest of us).

In a perfect world I'd go to the 3 week preseason C&R and 4 unannounced stockings rotating over the 7 weeks, plus the fall stocking. Similar to PA.

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod
Old 01-27-2022, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished the early season Covid opener two years in a row. Had the stream I generally fish almost to myself at time, early on and caught countless trout. Pinched my barb and never lifted a fish out of the water, releasing them with a pair of Hemostats. That said, as the pressure built and fish were caught and released repeatedly, I saw many dead fish. Once it became legal to keep them the majority of the fish were gone in the first few days and the fishing became so bad a week or so later it wasn't even worth fishing.

While selfishly I don't mind the "Covid rules", I think the old stocking rules are far better for the masses who can't necessarily take advantage of the early open catch and release period before the massacre starts.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As for the dead trout……..given the number of trout that were stocked, unless there was a massive fish kill, dead fish are not an uncommon occurrence. The fact that people see some dead ones should not be too shocking. There are many, many more that are still swimming.

I did have an issue with using bait for catch and release as opposed to using lures or flies. As for those who caught and kept fish prior to the season, there will be no changing them unless they are caught and fined. Still, they don’t take them all. It’s a matter of fairness. There are greedy people and that will never change. If they need to satisfy their egos and greed so badly and have to do it by breaking the rules, then they have real problems.

I still like the idea of preseason catch and release with flies and lures. It was permitted ( flies only ) years ago on the old “no kill” stretch and still is on some select stretches of streams. I’d just like to see more stretches on more streams opened up for C&R for preseason.

I was okay with the traditional stocking schedule, so going back to how it was is no big deal. The fish will grow bigger over their weeks in the hatchery and the fishermen will be thinning out as the weeks go by.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They should have kept the in-season closed streams open for C&R for the 2-3 weeks before opening day for artificials only and the standard week 1 allocation of fish. This would limit the area F&G had to monitor. The last two years the fish spread out nicely, streams were relatively empty and the C&R led to some "smarter" fish having a chance to avoid a stringer immediately. I had great fly fishing for those few weeks the last 2 years.

Will they allow TU and other volunteers help spread the fish out? Or are we looking at another "bridge hole" opening day?
Old 02-02-2022, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

[QUOTE=baetis;566773]

Will they allow TU and other volunteers help spread the fish out? Or are we looking at another "bridge hole" opening day?

F&W is a state agency. Unless and until Murphy decides to eliminate Covid restrictions, expect the status quo. There will be mostly bridge stocking or stocking at normally accessible, traditional spots. Accessible is the key word. Don't expect a driver to run a netful of trout back into the woods a couple of hundred yards from the truck.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=Billfish715;566806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baetis View Post

F&W is a state agency. Unless and until Murphy decides to eliminate Covid restrictions, expect the status quo. There will be mostly bridge stocking or stocking at normally accessible, traditional spots. Accessible is the key word. Don't expect a driver to run a netful of trout back into the woods a couple of hundred yards from the truck.
1) Murphy will never eliminate his restrictions cause it makes him Gauleiter of the state with recourse to no one
2) Pray for heavy rains immediately during and after stocking so that the fish spread around

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod
Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Trout stocking procedures was fine , just make C-R no bait !! This cuts down on crowds and fishing much more pleasurable !
Old 02-17-2022, 10:03 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Got into fishing during covid - but try not to be too much of a googan! I can't speak too much on how it used to be as the only time I went trout fishing prior was once with my old man when I was like 8

I found that, hilariously enough, where I fish the D&R canal a bunch of fogies (some younger and yes some old farts too) were all setup in lawn chairs by the parking lot fishing powerbait. If you walked...not even 50 yards up or down the canal you had it pretty much entirely to yourself. It could have been covid, could just be where I live, but I found it peaceful and never had to deal with anyone in my way.

Was catching trout until June.. so the "covid way" worked fine for me, and the fish seemed pretty well dispersed, I had to "find them" not just fish the bridges/overpasses.