NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

winter boot question - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-21-2015, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: winter boot question

Quote:
Originally Posted by june181901 View Post
...I think there was an air portal which allowed you to pump air in when it was going past 10 below zero or you would be outside for hours.
That's a common misconception about the air portal. Its real purpose is to allow pressure equalization between the boot layers and a non-pressurized airplane cabin: Open on ascent, close after descent.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Mike1010 is correct.
The valves were meant to stabilize the the pressure inside the boots when in flight. Most of the boots with valves had the words "keep closed unless in flight" surrounding the valve. If you left the valve open and water got inside, you ruined the boots. That is because the boots were rubber inside and out, with a 1/2" wool felt insulation
The boots were developed by the U.S. government during the 1950's, and were used by the military into the 1980's.
They were available in black (for cold, dry climate) and were called "Mickey Mouse" boots, and white (for cold, wet climate) and were called "bunny boots". They were both available with and without valves, but the boots with the valves were rated for colder climates, and the white boots were warmer than the black.
The white boots had a rigid sole, and the black boots had a flexible sole.
The boots were meant to be worn with one pair of military cushion sole socks.
I have the black boots both with and without the valves. I have used the black boots without the valves on a hunting trip in -21 degrees F!
The white boots without the valves are the hardest to find.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Bata Brand: Black - Mickey Mouse or White Snow Bunny Boots. You can get them new at an army surplus, eBay or Amazon prime for less then $100.00. Best investment: waterproof, fully rubberized so you don't worry about clam snot or crabs guts messing up your footwear. Best part I don't think about my feet getting uncomfortable on a cold February cod trip.