NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lab Memorial - Puosu Vi - Page 42 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lab Memorial - Puosu Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack
7. WHERE TO BE ON THE BOAT
Many times, good party boat captains, will move the boat slightly, once their boat setups, so that more customers can get onto a bigger piece, different part of the piece or more productive area of the piece of bottom. They will either back off on the anchor, take in some line, put briddles on, set two anchors, or just turn the wheel to redirect the boat to another portion of the piece....but sometimes, the captain, can knock everyone out by doing these adjustments. You can also be put on a very nasty piece of bottom where you get hung up almost every time you get down to the bottom. Reef areas in particular where rebarb is all over the bottom, is such a place where this will happen. Many pieces are not as big as the party boats that fish them, so you have to keep this in mind. You might be fishing in the 'mud' as they say and get few if any bites.
As we get latter in the season, their is usually more room along the rail to jockey around, or as they say, 'put your roller skates on' to try a different spot on the boat...the stern sometimes, is not the best spot on the boat. Many party boats have their transducers set just aft of the frontal portions of their boats, about where the boats pilothouse is, so that the midship area is the first area where a captain usually setups since the boat is directly over the piece. This makes adjustments much easier for the captain, since he has a idea on how the boat will lay now, with the effect of both the tide and current on his boat. You might notice on the first one or two drops a party boat makes in the morning, that their will be a little more 'jockeying' around the piece as the captain is figuring out how a boat is going to sit in a certain area. Again currents and winds differ from one area to the next, especially in a area like the NY Bight. A west wind might not have much effect when you are sitting tucked in, to the beach in the NJ Highlands, but as soon as you move slightly north towards Sandy Hook or south to Sea Bright, leaving the protection from the hills on the Highlands, that breeze can make a hugh difference in a way a boat is going to lay. Take a look at how a captain is setting the boat up when he initially sets up on his drop, to see what the most productive spots are along the rail of the boat. Of course days with roaring currents due to moon tide periods or areas like channels which always have stronger current flows, will make it easier for fishermen in the stern portion of the boat. If you are towards the front of the boat, cast ahead to allow your sinker rig to settle under the boat. It is extremely hard to fish on what we call 'angles' where you pole is pointed in one direction, and the line running off in another. You should always try to have the pole and your line, laying in one plane', which makes it easier, to detect bites, and stick the fish.

On some days, especially when the boats start moving out to deeper water like 17 Fathoms, you get what is called a 'cross current'. Your line goes down in one direction, yet ends up setting up in the opposite direction! To explain this clearer, just imagine, that you line is going down like you have a incoming tide on top, yet ends up on the bottom like you have a outgoing current...if you do a great deal of winter black fishing this is very common. With monofilament lines, you will get a nice belly in it which makes it harder to detect bites. Gel spun lines lessen this phenomena since they have a thinner diameter, causing less resistance, thus work much better when you have these conditions. You want as straight a line going from your rod tip to the bottom. That does not mean keeping a ultra-taut line, which is really poor technique....you should just have enough tension on your line, to detect bites! You will notice that big fish will hit a bait, then backoff sometimes due to the tension you have on your line...slacken it off slightly! One thing you can do is to go to a slightly heavier sinker. Another is to fish a slightly longer leader, which lessens the tension from the main line when a blackfish picks up the bait. I know first hand, when I get that 'big fish hit' then feel little pecking from small fish the longer my crab is on the bottom. Many times I know its from keeping too much tension on my main line.

This is a great deal to understand, since it requires thinking on your part. At first it is not automatic when you fish on a party boat. But this is why certain fishermen on a party boat always catch more fish and bigger fish, because they pay attention to the small details. These are some very important tips to remember.
In regards to boat positioning? I must agree. The stern is not always the place to be because the Capt. will at times move the boat (to assure everyone catches their fair share of tog). However, if you want to increase your probability whether it?s a small piece or not? it is important to know where the transducer is located.
after making me reads all dat your odds are now 1,000:1!

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice info Larry. Do I hear a book on NJ Blackfishing? Marine forecast is looking good no matter where you read it. Looking forward to Sunday!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

LAB would be laughing his ass off

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...172308236.html
Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Just a reminder if anyone thinks they are man enough

2 person teams....

- Most keepers caught by each 2 man team

- In the event of a multiple team 2 man limit, tie breaker will be 2 heaviest fish.

- $50 per team winner take all

- At end of trip on the boat, all losers will have to get on their knees, bow to the wining team and exclaim " We are not worthy to be in your presence oh great ones.... We suck" Should be a nice photo and video opp Get your knee pads ready!!

Teams
- Flying Zagorski Brothers (Gerry and Joey Dah Fish)
- Blind Squirrel (Dales and Hartattack)
- Team UB (FinS and Boston Pete) Now there's a pair that beats 3 of a kind (they scratched)
- Beer Batterd Shrimp (Lefty Reeler and Shrimpman Steve)
- Scotch In The Rocks (ReelRon and Riverbassfishing)
- Stixum Fish (dfish28 and darrenflynn)
- Sleeping Giants (Stelios and Baccala)
- Wrecking Crew (MVP and Toggie Time)
- Team Bromance (Dtats and JMurr)
- Team Megans Ring (Rob B and Foul Hook)

Who else is going to man up??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-07-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

And don't forget one crisp dollar bill for the traditional "Yo Dolla Bill" bet for the first keeper.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
shocker lives on!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Jmurr, I like some of your odds, but remember - this is only the preliminaries.

good luck to everyone. bring enough lead, rigs, gloves etc and lets have a smackdown day to speak of for years to come
coot those are prelim odds they will be adjusted if any of you meetme on the mimi. Mr.Z please add "Bromance" to the team list- jmurr & Dave Tats

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears

Last edited by jmurr711; 12-07-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
coot those are prelim odds they will be adjusted if any of you meetme on the mimi. Mr.Z please add "Bromance" to the team list- jmurr & Dave Tats
You got it Murr. One more reason not to drop any quarters on this trip

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-07-2013, 02:05 PM
PUOSU Tog Master

Missed my flight yesterday so I'm stuck in Puerto Rico tying my rigs.. Lol see you guys tomorrow!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ROD
Missed my flight yesterday so I'm stuck in Puerto Rico tying my rigs.. Lol see you guys tomorrow!
I'll see if I can find some Bud Ice tall boys for you later on