NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Top shot for tog fishing - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-29-2015, 05:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Top shot for tog fishing

That's what I am hoping for, my thought was fast action with a shorter top shot when I need it and slightly slower action with a longer top shot when I want to fish the rod that way
Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalinerush View Post
That's what I am hoping for, my thought was fast action with a shorter top shot when I need it and slightly slower action with a longer top shot when I want to fish the rod that way
Going to try to answer this question and the ? about what blackfish rod in one post for you.
Everyone has there own opinion and you need to find out what works for you.
Once you have confidence in the set up you are using you will find that you will catch more fish consistently. When targeting Big fish fast action graphite rods and braid in my opinion are not a good combination.

If you are stuck fishing one rod that is graphite and fast action you will be much better off either fishing straight mono or longer top shot of at least 20 ft.
To much sensitivity with fast action braid set up i think is a bad thing especially on days when bite is scratchy. Being you have very little give or cushion with that set up the fish feels that resistance and will drop your bait rather than finishing it off and giving you a bite worth swinging at. Try not to fish so tight to your line and give yourself a little slack or what some like to call Belly in your line. You can just watch your line jump without fish feeling any resistance. Once you master that feel you will become a much better blackfisherman or in your case blackfisherwomen.
Women sometimes actually make better blackfisherman as they are more patient and will not swing at every little bump or scratch they feel. Once you get that feel you will be able to know the difference between a bergal or scratchy bite and wait for the Right bite to swing at. Not only will you catch more fish but the quality and size of the fish you catch will improve.

I use to fish G loomis, Lamiglass, st Criox and all high end graphite blanks.
Add braid to the equation and now you have almost no give. Did i use to catch fish. Hell Yeh. But what i did find out is that i also was loosing big fish to pulled hooks due to lack of stretch in line and no cushion from my rod when blackfish started bulldogging his way to the bottom.

About ten years ago i came across an old Austrailian blank that many of the Blackfish sharpies from Belmar would use. I later came to find that the rod builders name was Al and had passed away probably about 20 years ago. Not sure exactly when. If you walked on the Mohawk or Explorer they would know right away that it was an Al rod as he had a distinctive band wrapp he we put on rods that where at a certain height on blank that when leaned on rail it would hit that wrapp. Basically an old fiberglass blank that is super light yet very durable. Rod actually bends throught the whole entire blank without any shut off point. When i originally picked it up i thought to myself this will make a great bait rod for fluke which it turned out to be. Being it bent so much i thought it would never be able to be used for blackfish. I tried it out one day blackfishing and was amazed as to how much lead it can hold and how it transmitted the bite to me that was totally different feel than the graphite rods i was use to. I also noticed after several trips that i was not dropping any fish due to pulled hooks as the rod would absorb all that shock. The rest is now history as that rod has changed how i blackfish and has made me a better fisherman. Of the 40 blackfish over 10 pounds that i have caught more than 30 of them have been caught on that blank.
There is no such thing as the perfect blackfish rod as if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different opinions. I would not recomend the rod i primarily use but it works for me as i am tuned into what it is telling me on the other end of the line. When people pick up my rod they find it hard to believe that that rod can catch double digit tog as there is the misconception that you need a heavy stiff rod with fast action to pull fish out of the wreck. Well pictures do not lie

If you are seriously looking to get into blackfishing i would get myself 2 rods
preferably the same blank with different size tips. This way your interpretation of the bite will be similiar based on which rod you are using.

Soft tip moderate bend glass or composite blank. something in the 7-8 ft range based on private or partyboat fishing. I personally like 7.6 ft rod as it allows me the length i need not to have my rod tip pointed straight to the water so i can fish slack in my line as well as giving me the extra length i need when setting the hook being rod has so much give.

My go to set up is my 7.6 australian glass blank
55 lb Diawa Boat braid with 20Ft of Andy mono top shot connected by FG Knot. Smoothest knot i have found to date.
As for rigs i will fish anywhere from 30-80 lbs based on where i am fishing, conditions and bite. If fishing DE, MD, VA i will bump up my top shot to 60-80 lbs and my rigs at 60-80 lbs when i am trophy hunting.

Second rod of similar blank i would cut to somewhere between 10-12 tip based on action and how much weight you want it to handle. This can either be your straight mono rod or you or fish your braid set up with top shot especially if you need rod to handle heavier sinker weight of 10-14 oz.

Probably way to much info but when it comes to tog fishing there is really no right or wrong answers but there are some principles that seperate the 20% of fisherman that catch 80% of the fish. If you can stack the deck in your favor and reduce the learning curve why not listen to what others have to say and take bits and pieces to incorporate into your style of fishing. I have been tog fishing for almost 30 years now. I am always trying to learn new things to help me and others around me become a better angler. Luckily i get to fish with some of the best blackfisherman from RI down to VA and can say that a trip does not go by where i do not learn something. Just over the past 2 years i have picked up several tips that I can honestly say has taken my blackfishing to another level. One of the great things is about this site is that you have good people willing to share info. You can read as much as you want but nothing can substitute being out on the water and putting all that info to hands on use. Best of luck to you on your blackfish Career.

Hopefully some of this will help

Alex
MVP

Last edited by MVP; 12-29-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Every time I fish with Alex, I am amazed at how that rod bends all the way to the handle and he never drops fish. I am becoming a believer.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

40lbs mono.. around ten feet long.. Tied with an albright.. Does me well!

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Going to try to answer this question and the ? about what blackfish rod in one post for you.
Once you have confidence in the set up you are using you will find that you will catch more fish consistently. When targeting Big fish fast action graphite rods and braid in my opinion are not a good combination.

If you are stuck fishing one rod that is graphite and fast action you will be much better off either fishing straight mono or longer top shot of at least 20 ft.
To much sensitivity with fast action braid set up i think is a bad thing especially on days when bite is scratchy. Being you have very little give or cushion with that set up the fish feels that resistance and will drop your bait rather than finishing it off and giving you a bite worth swinging at. Try not to fish so tight to your line and give yourself a little slack or what some like to call Belly in your line. You can just watch your line jump without fish feeling any resistance. Once you master that feel you will become a much better blackfisherman or in your case blackfisherwomen.
Women sometimes actually make better blackfisherman as they are more patient and will not swing at every little bump or scratch they feel. Once you get that feel you will be able to know the difference between a bergal or scratchy bite and wait for the Right bite to swing at. Not only will you catch more fish but the quality and size of the fish you catch will improve.

Add braid to the equation and now you have almost no give. Did i use to catch fish. Hell Yeh. But what i did find out is that i also was loosing big fish to pulled hooks due to lack of stretch in line and no cushion from my rod when blackfish started bulldogging his way to the bottom.

About ten years ago i came across an old Austrailian blank that many of the Blackfish sharpies from Belmar would use. I later came to find that the rod builders name was Al and had passed away probably about 20 years ago. Not sure exactly when. If you walked on the Mohawk or Explorer they would know right away that it was an Al rod as he had a distinctive band wrapp he we put on rods that where at a certain height on blank that when leaned on rail it would hit that wrapp. Basically an old fiberglass blank that is super light yet very durable. Rod actually bends throught the whole entire blank without any shut off point. When i originally picked it up i thought to myself this will make a great bait rod for fluke which it turned out to be. Being it bent so much i thought it would never be able to be used for blackfish. I tried it out one day blackfishing and was amazed as to how much lead it can hold and how it transmitted the bite to me that was totally different feel than the graphite rods i was use to. I also noticed after several trips that i was not dropping any fish due to pulled hooks as the rod would absorb all that shock. The rest is now history as that rod has changed how i blackfish and has made me a better fisherman. Of the 40 blackfish over 10 pounds that i have caught more than 30 of them have been caught on that blank.
There is no such thing as the perfect blackfish rod as if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different opinions. I would not recomend the rod i primarily use but it works for me as i am tuned into what it is telling me on the other end of the line. When people pick up my rod they find it hard to believe that that rod can catch double digit tog as there is the misconception that you need a heavy stiff rod with fast action to pull fish out of the wreck. Well pictures do not lie

preferably the same blank with different size tips. This way your interpretation of the bite will be similiar based on which rod you are using.

Soft tip moderate bend glass or composite blank. something in the 7-8 ft range based on private or partyboat fishing. I personally like 7.6 ft rod as it allows me the length i need not to have my rod tip pointed straight to the water so i can fish slack in my line as well as giving me the extra length i need when setting the hook being rod has so much give.

55 lb Diawa Boat braid with 20Ft of Andy mono top shot connected by FG Knot. Smoothest knot i have found to date.
As for rigs i will fish anywhere from 30-80 lbs based on where i am fishing, conditions and bite. If fishing DE, MD, VA i will bump up my top shot to 60-80 lbs and my rigs at 60-80 lbs when i am trophy hunting.

Second rod of similar blank i would cut to somewhere between 10-12 tip based on action and how much weight you want it to handle. This can either be your straight mono rod or you or fish your braid set up with top shot especially if you need rod to handle heavier sinker weight of 10-14 oz.

Probably way to much info but when it comes to tog fishing there is really no right or wrong answers but there are some principles that seperate the 20% of fisherman that catch 80% of the fish. If you can stack the deck in your favor and reduce the learning curve why not listen to what others have to say and take bits and pieces to incorporate into your style of fishing. I have been tog fishing for almost 30 years now. I am always trying to learn new things to help me and others around me become a better angler. Luckily i get to fish with some of the best blackfisherman from RI down to VA and can say that a trip does not go by where i do not learn something. Just over the past 2 years i have picked up several tips that I can honestly say has taken my blackfishing to another level. One of the great things is about this site is that you have good people willing to share info. You can read as much as you want but nothing can substitute being out on the water and putting all that info to hands on use. Best of luck to you on your blackfish Career.

Alex
MVP

Thanks for the detailed reply Alex, actually I am a 50 year old man not a women, lol. The avatar is my daughter with a steelhead. I wouldn't post a picture of my ugly mug. I'm trying to take my black fishing to the next level which is the reason for all my questions. I am going to try a few types of rods to find out what I like, thanks again.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hope info provided helped. As for picture you are right as picture of pretty young girl is always more diserable than picture of 50 year old Man.
Feel free to keep asking questions. The more you fish for them the better you will get as you will get a feel for the right bite to swing at once you are in tune with yur tackle. Once you think you have it all figured out you will have days that they will humble you. One of the reasons guys love to fish for them.
I am always willing to share info as well as many of the great members we have on this site that are some great blackfisherman
Old 12-31-2015, 02:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post

Alex
MVP
I just learned more from this one post from Alex than I could have by actually fishing (like I have been) 100 times in a row. Thanks Alex for your insight.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Does anyone use flouro for their top shot? pros and cons? thank you.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Mono top shot and floro for hook leaders. Part of the reason for floro is its stiffer then mono and therefore better at keeping your hook away from your line and tangling back up on it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-02-2016, 04:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesterkim View Post
Does anyone use flouro for their top shot? pros and cons? thank you.
I usually use fluro top shot. Everyone seems to say it's a waste but I think it has less stretch than mono, less visible and more abrasion resistant. I buy it in 100 spools so it's not as expensive as buying 25 yard spools. I'll be comparing today to see if one is better than the other, just shorter, around 10'.