NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

the old corned beef - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default the old corned beef

I braise mine in the oven for I fell it loses less flavor that way. Put corned beef brisket, I use the whole brisket because it stays moist, first cut usually will get dry. Put it in a large deep hotel pan, sprinkle with some brown sugar, pickling spice and 2 beers, the cover with water. I take plastic wrap and then 2 pieces of foil to keep the water in. Cook at 400 degrees for 2 hours the take out of oven open carefully and flip brisket over recover and bake for anothe 1-2 hrs. When finished you shoul be able to twist a fork in the center without much resistance. I take out of water and trim whil hot cause the fat just melts off, save the juices to braise your potatoes and cabbage in. peel potatoes and cut cabbage in 1/8's leaving the core in to hold together. Lay in water recover and bake 45minutes- an hr. Slice beef serve with potatoes and cabbage rye bread....Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: the old corned beef

Sounds delicious... My wife made it in the crock pot the other night set it and forget it style. Think it cooked for about 6-7 hours low heat potatoes cabbage and carrots were addae for the last 2hours. To die for better than Carnegie Deli and she's no Julia Child
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im gonna try it in the slow cooker this year as well with some beef stock & Guinness.

That baked way sounds good too.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyReeler
Sounds delicious... My wife made it in the crock pot the other night set it and forget it style. Think it cooked for about 6-7 hours low heat potatoes cabbage and carrots were addae for the last 2hours. To die for better than Carnegie Deli and she's no Julia Child
Better than Carnegie Deli - WOW - she must read the boards or someone wants to go Fishing ???

GDubs-
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeya78
I braise mine in the oven for I fell it loses less flavor that way. Put corned beef brisket, I use the whole brisket because it stays moist, first cut usually will get dry. Put it in a large deep hotel pan, sprinkle with some brown sugar, pickling spice and 2 beers, the cover with water. I take plastic wrap and then 2 pieces of foil to keep the water in. Cook at 400 degrees for 2 hours the take out of oven open carefully and flip brisket over recover and bake for anothe 1-2 hrs. When finished you shoul be able to twist a fork in the center without much resistance. I take out of water and trim whil hot cause the fat just melts off, save the juices to braise your potatoes and cabbage in. peel potatoes and cut cabbage in 1/8's leaving the core in to hold together. Lay in water recover and bake 45minutes- an hr. Slice beef serve with potatoes and cabbage rye bread....Enjoy!
Thanks Joey. We are not Irish but I cannot remember a year since childhood that we did not have corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots.

We never added beer and we always cooked it on top of the stove, so I have to try your way.

Thanks again, Leif
Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Lefty - could you share that receipe? Sounds too easy!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

She is making it again tonight as Im out for "work" tomorrow evening with the fellas I will get specifics for ya and post later tonight or tomorrow am. It was pretty easy, water, pickled spices and the potatoe/carrot/cabbage combo...It was quite delish!
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Top of the stove for me......my Irish born admin (RIP Kay) told me years ago that corned beef is American, not Irish, but she made it real good.....she always used first cut, a dollop of vodka added, potatoes and cabbage.......I prefer the Savoy cabbage....picked up my first cuts today at Lutz's butcher shop in Union....can't wait!
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship." -Alexander Tytler
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

MGM good info for Leif, Corned Beef is actually a Jewish cut of meat, cured and boiled aka Irish style. The 1st Irish immigrants settled on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a Jewish area and the cheapest cut of meat was the brisket and a once a year tasty tradition was born.
________
MARIJUANA BUBBLER

Last edited by TAB95; 08-31-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM
Top of the stove for me......my Irish born admin (RIP Kay) told me years ago that corned beef is American, not Irish, but she made it real good.....she always used first cut, a dollop of vodka added, potatoes and cabbage.......I prefer the Savoy cabbage....picked up my first cuts today at Lutz's butcher shop in Union....can't wait!

Town I grew up in (5 points area), and my mother would take me and my brothers to Lutz's all the time. Didn't appreciate it until I was older....but good to hear they are still going strong. Might have to drop in soon to reminisce...and grab a steak or four.

Fin~S