NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Alberto Knot For Top Shots - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Alberto Knot For Top Shots

If you're are not familiar with this knot and are looking for a great knot to join braid to a mono top shot, this is it.

I was using a uni to uni knot for the longest time but this knot is much easier and faster to tie and has a much smaller profile so it passes through the rod guides better.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot/

The one tricky part is at the end where after the wraps are done, you pass the braid back through the mono loop. You need to make sure the braided line is passed through in the same direction (either under or over of mono loop) as the first pass of the braid through the mono loop.

Give it a shot and I'll betcha this will be your new go to knot.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 09-26-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Alberto Knot For Top Shots

Been using that knot for a few years.Found it on u-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58ARA7K8_4

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Alberto Knot For Top Shots

This knot was actually developed by an gentlemen from Australia,
I originally modified this knot to a reverse Albright for the PP people & it s been in their paper work for years
The key to this knot is always use a double braid & it's stronger with minimum of ten turns! The key to its performance is to snug up until is locks, sometimes u need gloves to fully complete !
Offshore works as well with Bimini double line which I prefer for all my fishing applications.
Not sure if the Alberto version u depict is correct I believe his knot doubled braid on tie .
Anyhow excellent, quick knot , that u can tie anywhere FAST!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

So Lou..... You suggest doubling the braid first then tying the knot the same way??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

One objection to the alberto (and albright, for that matter), is that the tag end of the mono can hang on the rod guides on the way out. Trimming the end close enough to prevent that can compromise the knot. To avoid those issues, I've settled on the bristol or no-name knot, which hasn't let me down in any way. There are several variations, but I like this one:

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bristol-knot

It is fast and easy to tie, strong and small, and the tag end can be trimmed really close, but anyway sticks out at a right angle to the main line so it doesn't hang up in either direction. For the braid loop, I usually use a surgeon's loop with at least five turns instead of a bimini, to be able to tie this connection quickly or in the dark.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
So Lou..... You suggest doubling the braid first then tying the knot the same way??
Yes! As far as mentioned tag end getting stuck in guides, a dab of knot sense fills those gaps & allows line to slide easier thru guides. This makes very litle
differance to the drop & reel guy but the constant caster may want this compromised for smoother line flow.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 AM
Site Sponsor

Mike, I've trimmed both tag ends up close to the knot so that it easily passes through guides for years and have never had the knot fail.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Alberto Knot For Top Shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M
Old 10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
If you're are not familiar with this knot and are looking for a great knot to join braid to a mono top shot, this is it.
Give it a shot and I'll betcha this will be your new go to knot.
Have you taken a look at, or tried tying/using the Red Phillips knot? I think if you do, it will be your go to knot instead.

I used to use an Albright, reverse Albright, and the Crazy Alberto knot in tying my leader/top shot to braid running line.

To many wraps for the Albright, and reverse Albright, and you have to lock them and glue em, or they tend to unravel in time, running through the guides.

Crazy alberto is a great knot, but a little tedious to tie in dim (flashlight), at 3AM, when stripers are biting and you have to retie in a hurry. and while only 7 wraps up then down, you need to get them just right, or knot failure can occur, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Despite how good the knot is, I feel it requires a dab of crazy glue like the Albright and reverse Albright.

Then I found the Red Phillips knot. It's all I use now. Essentially an overhand knot and half of a uni to uni, 6 wraps, no glue needed, and I can literally tie it in the dark, without light. The uni part rests on the overhand knot of the mono, so it's not going to cut it, or blow up, and strong as can be. My go to knot now and easy to tie.

Video of how to tie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo

Picture example:

'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't.' - Ronald Reagan