NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Atlantic Star and Capt Tom????? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Atlantic Star and Capt Tom?????

Saw Parker Pete bought the AS. Beautiful boat. Capt Tom calling it a career or moving up to a new ride?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995

Last edited by Duffman; 01-23-2024 at 08:32 PM..
Old 01-24-2024, 03:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Atlantic Star and Capt Tom?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Saw Parker Pete bought the AS. Beautiful boat. Capt Tom calling it a career or moving up to a new ride?
Tom back it in
Old 01-25-2024, 03:46 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm not sure if he's getting out or no but he certainly is the sort of person you'd want to buy something from.. That boat was well cared for and spotless!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-25-2024, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Just sux if Capt Tom calls it.

I’m an old effer who remembers when AHMH was a bustling harbor. What was there ? 8-9 boats at time there?

Now 3 left. Magic hours, Nite Blues, Winter flounder trips in March. Ooff this sux.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-25-2024, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Just sux if Capt Tom calls it.

I’m an old effer who remembers when AHMH was a bustling harbor. What was there ? 8-9 boats at time there?

Now 3 left. Magic hours, Nite Blues, Winter flounder trips in March. Ooff this sux.
Yep SUX / 3 left.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Yep SUX / 3 left.
I find that unbelievable. Can’t tell me it’s the regs that are putting an end to the fleet. Just less participation as a whole. But not being in the business I may be completely wrong.

Seems like Capts who have been in the business don’t have family or friends following up to continue the business. Again, I can be completely wrong, just an observation.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-25-2024, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I find that unbelievable. Can’t tell me it’s the regs that are putting an end to the fleet. Just less participation as a whole. But not being in the business I may be completely wrong.

Seems like Capts who have been in the business don’t have family or friends following up to continue the business. Again, I can be completely wrong, just an observation.
Yeah Duff,
Have to agree as to not knowing not being in the business but think you are right that the cell phone generation is not carrying on the legacy.
Also the regs impact contributes to the participation of those that meat fish vs those that want a day off in the saltlife. Sad either way. See ya soon on the water!
Old 01-25-2024, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Open your eyes. Winter flounder, summer flounder, ling, whiting, cod, mackerel, porgies, sea bass, blackfish, stripers, bluefish, weakfish all without limits. Multiple fisheries for every season without possession limits and every stock was healthy and robust for years. Department of Commerce, NOAA and the powers to be realized some time ago the ocean is an endless supply of wealth for them to exploit and that's exactly what's been happening for decades. If you can't see it your blind. Combine that with insane operating costs to run a small business today and an industry which went from being virtually unregulated to overly regulated, I'm surprised there's still three boats in the Highlands. But as you very eloquently pointed out, no one wants to hear the truth on this site.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:06 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:

I think it's both... The regs certainly don't help and there's a lot of easier ways to make a living without the daily grind of having to get up at o dark thirty and getting your hands dirty these days. Not for me but I certainly respect and appreciate those who do. Sadly it seems like they're more people getting out of it then into it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-25-2024, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:

Google , 2007 Nj marine summary card .
Then 2023 Nj marine summary card and tell me it’s not the regs .

You could keep over twice as many fish on a 40 dollar trip compared to current regs on a 90 dollar trip .

Many who used to just go out for a fun change of pace aren’t going to pay over 100 bucks with tip and travel to keep 3 fish .

Sea bass trips seem to still draw a crowd , because guys are taking home a nice bag of fillets .

Now it’s mistly the same hardcore fisherman that you see on the boats , and those numbers are dwindling fast as we all grow older .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club