NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Toggin + Cod Decision - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-01-2021, 06:34 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Toggin + Cod Decision

From everything I've seen coming up with that perfect rod for more then one application remains a challenge. Here's mine -

NJ Blackfish (Bait) and Block Island "Local" Cod (Bait & Jigs). This is yet another purchase that will be "the last one I need" as I'm preparing for opening arguments with the LB.

To avoid further aggravating my OCD I've narrowed it down (In my mind) to the Black Hole 731 M or the Black Demon M or MH. I gotta pick just one so I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Black Demon but was curious how much weight the 731 can handle. I probably have answered this already thinking you could get up to 16oz on the Black Demon MH but is the BH product "that" special?

Either will be paired with an Avet (I am sure there are many opinions there but mind my OCD plz) the SX G2 or the new star drag. Any preference to star or lever drag for these applications is appreciated as well. Thx
Old 02-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Toggin + Cod Decision

Can't comment on the Black Demon since I haven't fished one but I hear good things about it. I have the 731m and it covers a lot of bases.... I can blackfish it with light jigs or heavy rigs and have fished it with up to 10 ounces and it's handled it fine and could probably handle a few more.

Nice thing about this rod is it's light weight enough so you don't tire yourself out working it all day, nice long fore grip for leverage, it's very sensitive and has plenty of back bone if you need it. If I had to choose one rod for multiple purposes, this would be it.

I don't think it would be my specific go to choice for targeting larger cod with 16 ounces but I think it could get that job done. It would however be very well suited for market size cod for sure.

Let's see what others have to say...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post

I don't think it would be my specific go to choice for targeting larger cod with 16 ounces but I think it could get that job done. It would however be very well suited for market size cod for sure.

Let's see what others have to say...
I use a black widow 150g paired with a maxel hybrid 20 off of block for cod and sea bass. They're mostly market fish. And I cannot recall needing anywhere near 16 oz when dunking bellies, but I largely swing diamond jigs to weed out the smaller fish.

You dont need an overkill meat stick set up for Block Island cod... Most of your heavy duty needs would be rig fishing tog.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:26 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I appreciate it guys. I could always move up to the "heavy" set up if the lead was needed. If the 731 has that little bit more versatility weight wise it's good to know. Comments on realistically fishing them are very helpful thx
Old 02-02-2021, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Black Demon MH will be definitely preferable to the M model for what you'd be using it for.

Have heard amazing things about the Blackhole 731M, but another rod you might want to consider is the 761 or 801 MH, I have the 801 model and love it for any offshore/deepwater bottom fishing, super lightweight, sensitive, and you could swing almost any bottom species over the rail with it.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Member

What spooked me about the BH 761 was talk about tuna fishing and "deep" water. Nothing against tuna or deep water. Of course if I'm considering the 7.5 Black Demon why not the 7.6 BH. My guess is rods are in different classes. I agree with the MH on the Demon thx
Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I appreciate the input guys. "Covering the bases", realistically how I'll be fishing the rod and those good things said about the 731 that'll be my choice.

It's a great site Gerry, I'm on almost every day this being my first post. Thx
Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

And a good first post at that Skate and welcome to the site!

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-06-2021, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I have the Black Demon MH rod and have fished for both blackfish and cod as deep as 150 feet with 14 oz cod jigs. I have it paired with a Daiwa Lexa 400 reel. I have used the rod for about 8 years and still like it. Sorry I can't compare it to the BH rod because I have never used one.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Yep I think the Lexa or a Abu Revo would pair great with either of these 2 rods. A nice power handle and your all set...

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area