NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Your fall techniques? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Your fall techniques?

Though I'm a huge fisherman, I admit I've been a bit of a little girl in the passed in that I've pretty much stopped fishing when fall rolls around. Basically, I haven't had much luck after September rolled around the passed few years and have gotten discouraged...but I'm determined to change that this year.

Looking for some discussion on techniques once the waters cool and the fish switch into their fall/cooler temperature patterns. I'll be predominately fishing for largemouth/smallmouth bass, pike, and probably mix in some walleye and musky trips before things freeze....fishing either from my 10ft. kayak or a buddies 14' v-hull, both equipped with fish finders, which I am slowly learning to use.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Your fall techniques?

Walleye and hybrids on Hopatcong or any other lakes that have them. Once lakes "turnover," which can vary depending on weather conditions, but usually when the water reaches the lower 60's, there will be more oxygen below the thermocline (or lack thereof a thermocline) and you will be able to target walleye just off the bottom on deep drop-offs on main lake points. This is how I have caught 90-percent of the walleye I have caught in NJ. I have never done so myself, but more than a few "incidental" musky have been hooked this way on Hopatcong. I hardly every fish largemouth in the fall as there are better things to do, but slow-rolling spinnerbaits is a common fall technique. Pike are game-on. Adult pike, by nature, are cold-water fish. Although you can pick away at the ax handles and even land a few bigger fish during the warmer months, pike thrive in water that is colder than 65-degrees. If you're not pike fishing in the early spring and fall, you're missing the best times to catch these fish. Targeting weedbed that have not died (green weeds) with spinnerbaits in lakes that have pike and largemouths can give you a nice mix. There's a lot more that goes into fall fishing, but that's some of my thought.

Last edited by catfishonthelake; 09-29-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fishing for bass and using artificials, SLOW IT DOWN. With drops in the water temps they are more lethargic.

I like to use live bait fished off the bottom depending on the lake i am fishing. Shiners or fat heads to the trick for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Your fall techniques?

Bait and wait.

Go big or go home.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Your fall techniques?

Okay, seriously, I don't know about techniques but I have some things written down in my fishing journal.

Big rainbows in the ranger cove at RV in October.
Delaware river for walleye (if it ever stops raining)
Penns Creek in PA in November
NY trout streams close Oct. 15th (but you can go North for Steelhead)
Susky for walleye
Lake Hopatcong for walleye in November (if you don't mind sitting in your boat when it's 40* outside)
Don't bother with fall stocked trout, the leaves come down and it's almost impossible to fish. Also, big stockies take about 4 to 6 weeks before they start feeding. Enclosed a photo of some big fall stockies, saw 6 guys casting toward them, nada. Go out in November when the leaves are gone and crush em in the streams, and you have the place to yourself. Better yet, fish for trout during the day, then hit the suds at night, a perfect outing !!
I got big holdover trout in Duke Island Park in November.
Try a deep drop Binsky at MC or RV for big smallmouth.
Lots and lots to do before the ice locks everything up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fall trout.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	41348  
Old 09-29-2011, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My favorite technique for fall bass is a super shallow-running crankbait fished slow on shallow flats adjacent to deep water. I have had great days on largemouths well into November using this tactic. If the crankbaits fail to produce, then try a small soft-plastic jerkbait in the same areas.

I have also received intel that the larger bass are deep right now (15-20 feet) and are hitting deep cranks.

I will be fishing the fall bite on Lake Champlain this weekend, I will let you know if I learn any new tricks for fall bassin'.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i don't know why nobody has mentioned crappies yet. they turn on in the fall, and it is my favorite time to restock them in the freezer. fatheads are my favorite for them, but white mr twisters on a small jig head work well too. they like holding in 10 or 15' of water with structure.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great thread, but I need some info on how to get those Hybrids over in Spruce Run this fall. I caught a couple the end of August drifting herring and I think I'm hooked, they are alot of fun and put up a great fight. Probably going to keep drifting herring and maybe a silver ratl trap deep and slow. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

do not forget the philly golden salmon start eating all day long!!!!!

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
i don't know why nobody has mentioned crappies yet. they turn on in the fall, and it is my favorite time to restock them in the freezer. fatheads are my favorite for them, but white mr twisters on a small jig head work well too. they like holding in 10 or 15' of water with structure.
If you can find them, the crappies are the biggest you will find all year. One big tip is fish SHALLOW lakes. Why? Because the fish can't go deep and know that it's either do or die time. They either get fat for the winter or starve. When I mean shallow, under 10 ft. maximum depth. If you want a nice mixed bag, you can troll small rapalas. Although it's by far my favorite method, it can produce a lot of fish. Good time of year to catch everything at it' heaviest point.