NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What's the technique??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default What's the technique???

I see alot of the trout guys using plugs like rapala's and pin minnows to catch some nice trout and was wondering how do you fish them? Cast upstream and crank it back down or downstream and work it back up? Do you use a steady retrieve or twitch it? Would like to try it next time i hit the stream and was hoping to gain a little knowledge to cut down on the learning curve a little. Also what size and colors are prefered Do the floaters or sinking ones work better? Share some love my brothers...............
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: What's the technique???

cast against the current and retrieve with the current. usually this will be casting upstream and retrieving downstream, but sometimes there will be eddies and pools where the local current is running in the opposite direction of the river flow.

i usually use a speed just fast enough to make the lure "work" (it is doing the action it is designed to) and twitch it every few seconds.

i don't like floating or sinking... for me neutral weighted is the way to go (rapala CD series for example). i prefer to use the ones that match what's in the creek for forage, so the silver looking one that resembles a chub and the perch looking one i use most.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I catch LMB's, SMB's, trout, walleyes, stripers, channel cats on Rapala #9 original floater, rainbow trout pattern.

The Rapala Knot http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/index.php or similar loop, is a MUST for the natural swimming motion of the lure.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Seriously? You are asking us how to fish ? I troll them and get the biggest ones!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Site Sponsor

Talking Re: What's the technique???

I personally like using a nice whippy rod and twitch it it drives them nutz!! Also believe it or not if u know where fish are always holding especially in good fast water hold it in the current and let it swim in the current and twitch basically keeping it in front ofthe fish pissing them off haha
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetANet
I see alot of the trout guys using plugs like rapala's and pin minnows to catch some nice trout and was wondering how do you fish them? Cast upstream and crank it back down or downstream and work it back up? Do you use a steady retrieve or twitch it? Would like to try it next time i hit the stream and was hoping to gain a little knowledge to cut down on the learning curve a little. Also what size and colors are prefered Do the floaters or sinking ones work better? Share some love my brothers...............
All of the above! Play around on your favorite steams and see what works. Let the fish do the thinking for you!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishermanmechanic
Seriously? You are asking us how to fish ? I troll them and get the biggest ones!
If someone is unfamiliar with a technique why shouldn't they be allowed to ask? Some of the most informative threads on here always start off with the basics.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Site Sponsor

Talking Re: What's the technique???

I second that!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys, that was one of the reason's I like this site most are cool and willing to share info about Techniques or Places to Fish I'm always trying to learn new techniques to add to my arsenal and appreciate the info.

Last edited by AndyS; 02-22-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey I actually like using the yozuri pin minnow and the countdown rapala more than using spinners for trout. The pin minnow suspends so you can twitch fast or pause it for a couple seconds then twitch again. I use the smallest size pin minnow I just forget the size number. My favorite color is light purple but black works really well. I also use the countdown rapala in a size CD3 rainbow trout colored. Both lures are great. Give them a try you will want to use them all the time. Good luck.