NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

TUNA Jigging Reel - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: TUNA Jigging Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
what size JM would you use for jigging tuna
PE5N or PE5 for around here.
PE8 when you're targeting the big ones in deep water.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My arm is twisted . I'm getting the JIGGING MASTER. No reason not too. Which model do you guys recommend? Braid,
#test, capacity. Anything else you recommend would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Last edited by aduma1107; 07-25-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduma1107
My arm is twisted . I'm getting the JIGGING MASTER. No reason not too. Which model do you guys recommend? Braid,
#test, capacity. Anything else you recommend would be appreciated. Thanks guys
See my last post.
I personally use hollow core line, either Jerry Brown or Tuf-Line.

PE5N will hold 300-325 yards of 60-65LB line
PE5 will hold 350-400 yards of the same
PE8 will hold 450 yards of 80 or 100LB line
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Canyon just released 2 new reels. The HS18 & HS16. Both are monster reels. The 16 is small, light weight, twin drag and I got over 300yds oh Fins Marked HC on mine. The 18 is a bit larger, but has more capacity. Take a look at them. Been waiting for them to announce these reels.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

How does the JM line compare to Shimano Torsa?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansos
How does the JM line compare to Shimano Torsa?
They're pretty different reels.
JM reels have a slower 4:1 retrieve and a very long handle arm. This gives them tremendous cranking power.
The Torsa reels have a fast retrieve that is unnecessary for tuna jigging. They are heavier and more expensive.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
They're pretty different reels.
JM reels have a slower 4:1 retrieve and a very long handle arm. This gives them tremendous cranking power.
The Torsa reels have a fast retrieve that is unnecessary for tuna jigging. They are heavier and more expensive.
sea bear, your knowledge on these reels is appreciated.thank you
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
PE5N or PE5 for around here.
PE8 when you're targeting the big ones in deep water.

Thanks for the info. Stopped by friends house who has several JM reels including the one you mentioned. Love the long handle. 2 things i did not like was the clicking sound reel makes when reeling in. Sounds like you have clicker on even thogh it is not engaged. Also if using as a jigging reel i found that the handle will rotate when jigging. Curious what your thoughts are on both concerns.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Thanks for the info. Stopped by friends house who has several JM reels including the one you mentioned. Love the long handle. 2 things i did not like was the clicking sound reel makes when reeling in. Sounds like you have clicker on even thogh it is not engaged. Also if using as a jigging reel i found that the handle will rotate when jigging. Curious what your thoughts are on both concerns.
actually there is a youtube video showing a quick clip on how noisy and/or annoying the Powerspell PE5 reel is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqoYMo7baI

I will still consider it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
The clicking noise has raised concern by several. The noise is a result of the double dog anti-reverse system. As we all know, when jigging you can get slammed by fish in an instant, putting a large jolt on the anti-reverse bearings and/or bushings. JM's double dog design is to survive that kind of punishment.

When listening to those videos, keep in mind anything will sounds noisier when we are in the confines of a quiet room. Throw in some wind in your face, the idling of twin diesels, a running generator, yelling and screaming of excited fisherman, and suddenly the noise rapidly dissipates into the background. Even so, it doesn't take long to become desensitized to it. I almost like it, to me, it's the sound of a JM.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by the handle rotating while jigging. Do you mean the T-bar spins very freely? The T-bar is always quick to settle down. It's hard to grab the handle awkwardly when you're moving your hands about while fighting a fish/doing whatever. The handle is usually right where you expect it to be thanks to gravity, no matter how you have the rest of the rod situated, so no fumbling around with your grip.

I'll just add, between all my tuna fishing friends and myself, JM's are the only reels we use for conventional tuna fishing, save one Accurate that I happen to also own, and one Talica. Collectively we have brought thousands and thousands of pounds of tuna to the boat, from NJ, to CC, NC 300+lb BFT, west coast long range 200+lb YFT, Panama, and more. Through everything, not a single reel has received any sort of routine servicing or any sort of care beyond a rinse after each trip. The biggest issue that has ever come up from anyone was a loose internal screw that happened on my PE 5. A quick tightening and all was good. I consider the JM's to be no-nonsense reels, just buy one and fish it hard, that's it.

Last edited by Sea Bear; 07-25-2012 at 11:01 PM..