NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Outboard - Spark Plug Help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Hydra-Sports-PFT

Default Outboard - Spark Plug Help

This year I rotaited the fouled but cleaned plugs from last year, fogged them and brought my 1 year old plugs home. The help I need is what should I use to clean the plugs with so that I can re-use them next year?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Outboard - Spark Plug Help

For the under $50 they cost, why not buy new ones?

I change mine every year.

6 Plugs at like $3-4 each.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Hydra-Sports-PFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy
For the under $50 they cost, why not buy new ones?

I change mine every year.

6 Plugs at like $3-4 each.
I have always done that as well. But if you think about it, how often do you change a car spark plug? You use it for thousands of miles, why shouldnt a boat spark last as long? Maybe its not a good idea, thats why I posted it....guys with more intel than I on the subject. You are right, its not the most costly thing on the boat.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They just might, but for under $50, why chance it?

They live around SW, so rust is somewhat a factor ( I have seen them on outboard plugs before for sure) and they are not constantly run like a car engine.

To me, just not worth taking a chance on an expensive engine on such cheap parts.

Most certainly could be all in my mind.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Well if it's a 2 stroke engine any comparison to a car is like comparing apples and oranges.Burnt oil leaves debris that is not found in automobile engines,unless they are pushing blue smoke out the exhaust.
If it's a 4 stroke engine a comparrison could be made.Undoubtedly a boat motor gets pushed way harder than its automotive counterpart.For the most part automobile engines live in the 2000-2500 rpm range while the boat engine usually lives in the 3500-4200 rpm range.Boats are much tougher on parts.That said I go along with the others in saying that if you are going to remove the spark plugs for the minimal cost of new ones it's cheap piece of mind to just replace them.If you are hell bent on cleaning them,an auto parts store will sell you a spark plug cleaner tool.It's basically a very small sandblaster that hooks up to a compressed air line.Be sure to clean all the debris out with carb and choke cleaner.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Change them out and put new ones in. I run my plugs at the start of the season for two trips to get the fog out, change out with a new set and then put another new set in mid way through the year to keep it running great. I have an older 2 cycle outboard that's been fairly good to me and want to keep it running great as long as I can.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Save yourself a lot of headaches and potential problems put new ones in every year. For what they cost it is cheap Ins.

Run the engine when about to put in for season, when fogging oil has been burnt off, shut down engine and put in new plugs
Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good advice.

I run my boat for a trip or 2 early in season, then replace plugs and racor after 2nd trip.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Hydra-Sports-PFT

Thank you for the in put. To sum it up - sparks $36.50 (set of 6) head ache >>>priceless. Glad I asked though because I never run the old ones for the first runs of the the season, always just put the new ones in. Now I will. Glad I asked.