NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Long Fin Tuna??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Long Fin Tuna???

I got some loins from my brother in law a commercial long liner outta barnaget...

Evry time i catch and bring it home i do the normal season or marinade and then grilll..

Would like to make Tuna fish ...I assume steam the meat..

ANY INFO OUT THIER GUYS???? Any other recipes you guys like???

Sean
Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Long Fin Tuna???

Take your longfin and cut into 1 inch cubes. Put in a pot of boling water. Boil until the center is no longer pink.... Cool the cubes, flake the tuna chunks and add mayo and if you like some diced onion and celery.

Enjoy!!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I steam it or boil it with salt. Drain cool and mix with mayo relish.

I also make fish cakes out of them.

If you are grilling, slice the steaks thinner than you normally would for Yellowfin and marinate in Italian dressing.

Leif
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I LOVE to can my own longfin! It lasts in the cupboard for two years and makes the best tuna sangwiches ever.

If interested in canning let me know and I will post how I do it. I am not going to post it if no one wants it as it wont be a short post.

steve
Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you can confit it (basically poach it in oil)

i like to leave the tuna in as big peices as i can

first- in a pot (you can do this in the oven as well) put a good amount of 100% olive oil, not extra virgin. throw in some crushed garlic cloves, cracked black pepper corns, some thyme and a bay leaf or two (you can add some red pepper flakes if you like) set the pot on med low and wait till you start smelling the seasoning- you do not want the spices and herbs to burn. once it comes to the point where you can smell the herbs add in the fish pieces (fish should be at room temp). you can increase the heat alittle at this point but you do not want to "fry" the fish. depending on the size of the fish pieces my take any where from 15-30 minutes. like BBQ, low and slow. after fish is done let cool in the oil. once cooled remove the fish from oil and enjoy. makes great tuna salad. toss some in with macaroni salad (kind with mayo or oil/vin. break up the meat and just eat it. i find the fish tends to stay much moister cooked this way. if you make a big batch, put the fish in containers and cover it with the oil it was cooked in- it will keep a long time in the fridge if covered.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve
I LOVE to can my own longfin! It lasts in the cupboard for two years and makes the best tuna sangwiches ever.

If interested in canning let me know and I will post how I do it. I am not going to post it if no one wants it as it wont be a short post.

steve
Steve, This would be a good post. I am interested if you get a chance.
I have pickled fish ect. but never canned anything for concern that I would not do it correctly.(Didn't want to get anyone sick including myself)

Thanks,

Leif
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I will post my canning process tonight.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I poach the chunks of tuna (longfin or otherwise) in vegetable broth, and cook it VERY slowly. I try not to let it boil, because if you cook it too fast, the moisture gets drawn out of the meat. Once its cooked all the way through, handle it just as you would canned tuna fish. YUM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I do have a recipe for canned tuna that my mother got from The Fisherman magazine in the early 70's. She used it with some yellowfin that my father had caught, served it a gathering of family and friends and everyone loved it (and with no ill effects either). A couple of years ago I got my first longfin tuna on a Voyager trip. I called Mom for the recipe, canned the tuna up and I was eating that tuna 1 year later (again with no ill effects).

So here is my recipe. A couple of things, though:

1. Make sure everything is scrupulously clean. If you get new jars and lids, wash them well or put them on the normal cycle of the dishwasher while you get everything else ready.

2. The recipe is simple, but the cooking time is rather long. If you cant can it all in one shot, you can freeze the tuna, thaw it later and it will be perfectly fine. With that said, here it goes:

Ingredients:

1 quart Mason jars with lids
Tuna, cut into about 2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Water

Note: you can halve the amounts and the cooking time for pint jars

Wash jars, rings and lids.
Put tuna chunks into jar up to the neck of the jar, packing the fish in as much as you can.
Add oil, salt and sugar.
Put water in jar just enough to cover the fish (you want a little headspace at the top of the jar).
Put clean knife down the sides of the jar to get rid of air bubbles and cover fish again with water if you need to.
Put lids and rings on and tighten down well.
Place jars in pot and fill pot with water up to the neck of the jar. Bring to the boil, then simmer jars for 4 hours for quart jars, 2-2.5 hours for pint jars (told you the cooking process was long ).
Take jars out of pot and let cool. Tighten lids if they have become slightly loose.
Make sure to listen for the pop as the button at the top of the lids gets sucked in. if they don't pop in 10-15 minutes, tap the lid, if it still doesn't go down, toss the jar (better to be safe than sorry).

Done right, the tuna will last unopened at least 1 year. Opened, treat it as you would canned tuna.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks guys for the info..i am gonna cook it up tonight will let you kno how it turns out..

thanks again

sean