NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

COLD WEATHER - Nitrile Gloves & Hand warmers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default COLD WEATHER - Nitrile Gloves & Hand warmers

I have become a big fan of using Nitrile gloves and find that my hands do not get as cold when wet as they used to. I have been pairing them with glacier gloves when it gets really cold with the index finger and thumb exposed to feel the line and tie rigs.

I still cannot figure out what is the best placement for hand warmers. I tried the wrist and top hand but still feel like these things don't work. Any comments or advice? Has anyone used the zippo hand warmer?

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: COLD WEATHER - Nitrile Gloves & Hand warmers

I like the PVC-coated fleece-lined gloves ("crab gloves" or "decoy gloves") with thin synthetic glove liners to wick moisture in cold weather like this. I keep the hand warmer pouches on top of / on the back of my hands where the blood vessels are. I sometimes supplement them with another handwarmer on the inside of my wrist.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Zippo warmer is nice. Its basically a fire in your pocket. Just be careful with the fuel, it can leak and that smell on your hand will sent the tog running from your crab.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
The Zippo warmer is nice. Its basically a fire in your pocket. Just be careful with the fuel, it can leak and that smell on your hand will sent the tog running from your crab.
I didn't even think about the smell of the fuel. Thanks.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlyRedhead View Post
I like the PVC-coated fleece-lined gloves ("crab gloves" or "decoy gloves") with thin synthetic glove liners to wick moisture in cold weather like this. I keep the hand warmer pouches on top of / on the back of my hands where the blood vessels are. I sometimes supplement them with another handwarmer on the inside of my wrist.
Yes, I own a pair of the Atlas fleece lined gloves but no good for blackfish. They work fine if you are jigging for cod and pollack but not so much for bait fishing.

How do you feel the bite with those on?

Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyHD View Post
I have become a big fan of using Nitrile gloves and find that my hands do not get as cold when wet as they used to. I have been pairing them with glacier gloves when it gets really cold with the index finger and thumb exposed to feel the line and tie rigs.

I still cannot figure out what is the best placement for hand warmers. I tried the wrist and top hand but still feel like these things don't work. Any comments or advice? Has anyone used the zippo hand warmer?
I just spent two of the coldest days I can recall, Togging out of Cape May. For this old man, nothing I have tried, so far, works for me. I used to use your method but for some reason stopped? I do agree that if I can keep my hands dry they stay warmer so I will be going back to your method next trip!
As for the hand warmers, I just keep them in my pocket to warm up my hands a little between drops!

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelron View Post
I just spent two of the coldest days I can recall, Togging out of Cape May. For this old man, nothing I have tried, so far, works for me. I used to use your method but for some reason stopped? I do agree that if I can keep my hands dry they stay warmer so I will be going back to your method next trip!
As for the hand warmers, I just keep them in my pocket to warm up my hands a little between drops!
I just saw some larger warmers called "body warmers" in a sporting store yesterday. Nice size and will give them a try in my front hoodie pocket on my next trip.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyHD View Post
I just saw some larger warmers called "body warmers" in a sporting store yesterday. Nice size and will give them a try in my front hoodie pocket on my next trip.
Went out on Saturday, temperature started low and went to 18 degrees by 2 PM. Day before bought a large supply of hand warmers at Costco. Did something different and taped them all over (lower back, neck, chest, in hat and hands). Seemed crazy when getting ready for the trip, but when I was out there in the cold in made a big difference.

Last edited by joerosa1; 01-01-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Old 01-01-2018, 07:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have settled on a pair of commercial,type PVC gloves that are lined with a synthetic fleece that does not readily absorb water and your hand moves in and out even when wet . Keep dry wipe rag attached to my tackle bag .
I keep a pair of JonE giant Hand warmers in my jacket pockets , shuck one glove to bait up , dry hand with rag attached to my TB then slip,back in glove .
If I Feel fingers getting cold use hand warmers to,take off chill .
I don't worry about feeling bite with exposed fingers use fast taper graphite rods that deliver the bite feel pretty well !
I fish a tight line and the rod does the rest . If ur a tog fisherman and a slack line watcher then use same approach , for this application I use hi vis line . However I believe ur rod taper has a lot to do with how u can fish successfully with gloves.
I used to have a good pair of WP mittens with slots that would allow hand use w/o removal but wore thos out and coudnt find another pair , they were great keeping ur hands warm , better than gloves .
This weather were fishing in now u need to prepare n dress properly it can be dangerous .
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
I have settled on a pair of commercial,type PVC gloves that are lined with a synthetic fleece that does not readily absorb water and your hand moves in and out even when wet . Keep dry wipe rag attached to my tackle bag .
I keep a pair of JonE giant Hand warmers in my jacket pockets , shuck one glove to bait up , dry hand with rag attached to my TB then slip,back in glove .
If I Feel fingers getting cold use hand warmers to,take off chill .
I don't worry about feeling bite with exposed fingers use fast taper graphite rods that deliver the bite feel pretty well !
I fish a tight line and the rod does the rest . If ur a tog fisherman and a slack line watcher then use same approach , for this application I use hi vis line . However I believe ur rod taper has a lot to do with how u can fish successfully with gloves.
I used to have a good pair of WP mittens with slots that would allow hand use w/o removal but wore thos out and coudnt find another pair , they were great keeping ur hands warm , better than gloves .
This weather were fishing in now u need to prepare n dress properly it can be dangerous .
Thanks for the very good info Lou. I have to get a few of the larger hand warmers for my pockets and these are the 2 pairs of gloves i like to use when it gets cold like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71Kdv1x9q1L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	120334   Click image for larger version

Name:	1304166_84937_is.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	120335  

Last edited by PeteyHD; 01-02-2018 at 10:18 AM..