NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rockland Outdoor Show? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-02-2018, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Rockland Outdoor Show?

I'm headed up after work this evening. I'll be the guy spilling Budweiser all over the worm bar. Anyone else headed up?

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rockland Outdoor Show?

I manned the NJDF&w's booth on Sat.

Most popular question: "When are you going to stock browns & brookies?"

Answer: "Not until the raceways are covered. There is discussion w/ a solar power co. about a cover w/ solar panels on top."

On Rt. 287 North I passed a convoy of 20 electric service trucks from Missouri,.......heading to New England, I imagine.

@ the show, one booth had a number of live birds: Raven, Red Tailed Hawk, Screech Owl, Barn Owl, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Aplomado Falcon. Each had one leg with a leather tether attached to a perch.

I was talking to the raptor woman when she exclaimed, "Oh shit!!" The Falcon took off,.......leather strap hanging from its leg. It flew high up in to the I beams of the athletic center.

All morning it flew around, stopping to perch. Around noon, the leather strap got hung up on one of the sprinkler heads,...way up by the ceiling. The bird dangled upside down, flapping for about 1 hour. Everyone was watching.

They got a scissor lift platform w/ 2 men & the raptor woman, extended as far as possible. They had a net, & kept duct taping extensions to the handle. Probably a good 40' of them to reach the bird. The 2 men @ the bottom holding the end, maneuvering it w/ much difficulty. The net didn't work. They next duct tapped foam rubber to the end, hoping the bird would latch on. It didn't.

Finally, many attempts with an attached paint roller handle (minus the padded roller) hooked the tether & freed the bird. Cheers & applause went up, as the exhausted bird fluttered to the floor, screeching. Bird was ok & recovered behind the scenes
Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
@ the show, one booth had a number of live birds: Raven, Red Tailed Hawk, Screech Owl, Barn Owl, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Aplomado Falcon. Each had one leg with a leather tether attached to a perch.

I was talking to the raptor woman when she exclaimed, "Oh shit!!" The Falcon took off,.......leather strap hanging from its leg. It flew high up in to the I beams of the athletic center.

All morning it flew around, stopping to perch. Around noon, the leather strap got hung up on one of the sprinkler heads,...way up by the ceiling. The bird dangled upside down, flapping for about 1 hour. Everyone was watching.

They got a scissor lift platform w/ 2 men & the raptor woman, extended as far as possible. They had a net, & kept duct taping extensions to the handle. Probably a good 40' of them to reach the bird. The 2 men @ the bottom holding the end, maneuvering it w/ much difficulty. The net didn't work. They next duct tapped foam rubber to the end, hoping the bird would latch on. It didn't.

Finally, many attempts with an attached paint roller handle (minus the padded roller) hooked the tether & freed the bird. Cheers & applause went up, as the exhausted bird fluttered to the floor, screeching. Bird was ok & recovered behind the scenes
Yikes, that's a pretty crazy scenario!! Glad the bird was alright!!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went on Saturday. Same old stuff, worth it though.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thought it was pretty good , went Saturday morning. saw some guys I know and grabbed a pretzel. ill give it a thumbs up