NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Kayak / Fishfinder question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Kayak / Fishfinder question

looking to get a fishfinder for the yak this spring. not looking to spend a load of cash on it. have narrowed my choices down to the humminbird piranhamax series. my question is... do i go with a portable that has a suction cup transducer or do i mount the transducer in the hull. i mainly use the yak in the ocean. my worry with the portable is wires over the side and getting in the way and potentially damaging suction cup transducer when landing yak on the beach.... your positive/negative thoughts & comments are welcome and appreciated...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Kayak / Fishfinder question

A lot of guys I know like to shoot them through the hulls. I just purchased a hobie revolution 13 and have not set up the fish finder yet but the hull should be thin enough for the transducer. Also seen a few yaks with the scupper plug mount but wouldn't trust that to drag on a beach. Guess it depends where and how you launch and fish.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Seen many on the inside of hull,mine is through the scupper hole has a threaded nut to hold in place,only issue is sand doesnt wash through, most of the time transducer cable is 20 ft long so alot of extra cable
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Don't spend much. The salt water will eventually destroy it after a few seasons.

I currently have 2 piranamax fishfinders - one transducer is glued to the inside of the hull with marine goop.

the other i wedge into place with some foam and vaseline

they both work fine. I didn't want to glue the second because it was used and i knew it would be replaced - but that was 2 seasons ago. I may glue it now.

it is a must have for fluking the bays - you need to find the holes and channels
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

yeah trident is correct. I have 20 feet of cable tied up inside.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I spend a lot of time in the salt water, launching through the surf. I am guessing that 75% of the guys I know mount inside and shoot through the hull. Its an easy job and your not plugging a scupper hole that you need to drain the water after taking a wave over the top.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Mount it inside the hull. Suction cups eventually fail. Scupper holes are for water drainage, not for cables, hoses, ect.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/ is where you should be looking for kayak specific fishing and ideas.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Member

thats what i figured that mounting inside the hull was best option. its always best to refer to the forum as some come up with better ideas. thanks guys
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Definitely mount in hull and shoot through. Use plummer's duct putty and you can easily remove whenever you want, or if you have to replace. I have a humminbird 190c and it is great. I have a hobie revo and use the tackle bucket that comes with it for the battery. I have the bucket in the rear hatch, which is useless anyway on the ocean. Works great.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have the Humminbird Pmax160 (i think) and used the scupper mount for my OK trident..Like metioned above alot of xtra cable but the set up is great and the fishfinder works perfect for fluking RB..I think it cost about 100$ money well spent!