NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Winterization Tips - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Winterization Tips

Warm up to responsible boating this winter by following these five tips for winterizing your vessel:

• Want a clean, green machine come spring? Before pressure washing your boat, position it over a washpad or tarp to collect debris present in wastewater. Remove and recycle zinc and aluminum anodes, which contain lead, and use environmentally friendly soaps when washing to reduce contaminants like nitrates and phosphorus.

• Use non-toxic antifreeze for all your winterization needs.

• Fill fuel tanks to no more than 85-90% of capacity. This helps reduce buildup of flammable fumes, condensation and fuel leaking out the vent on warm days. Also, use fuel with at least the recommended octane for your vessel or higher and add a stabilizer.

• Protect your boat and the environment by considering reusable canvas or multi-use plastic covers instead of shrink wrap.

• When winterizing outboards, place absorbent pads beneath the exhaust to catch any oil in the exhaust water.

More helpful tips for winterizing your vessel

• Have a boat with an outboard motor? If you’re keeping it in the water during freezing temperatures, keep the engine vertical to allow water in the cooling system to drain.
• If you’re winterizing a fuel-injected engine yourself, remove the fuel filter, pour some of the gas back into the tank, fill filter with fogging oil and replace. You can then run the engine and the fogging oil will be pumped through the fuel system.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Winterization Tips & RUN IT

You might want to add running the engine so that the stabilized fuel in the tank is also in the engines' fule lines, carbs, injectors, etc.

Without running the engine the stabilized fuel in the tank will do the engine's fuel system no good. And advance the carb rebuilding frequency.

I do my last (likely) outing with stabilized gas running the engines. So I know what's in my engine for the winter sleep if I don't run it again.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber