NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why Catch Shares Are Bad (spare us the Obama bashing...) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Banned

Default Why Catch Shares Are Bad (spare us the Obama bashing...)

...because it's not a Democrats pet project. In fact, it has a distinctly Republican "Free Market" feel to it. Monetize the planet, profits over people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErYJ...feature=relmfu
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Why Catch Shares Are Bad (spare us the Obama bashing...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy
...because it's not a Democrats pet project. In fact, it has a distinctly Republican "Free Market" feel to it. Monetize the planet, profits over people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErYJ...feature=relmfu
democrat talking points
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

***face to palm***

Talking points? Good grief.

The "re-distribution" of wealth, in this case the natural resource of fish, from the public to the private sector.

Did you watch the video?

Last edited by fishguy; 10-10-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I think most recreational organizations are not in support of catch shares because it takes a resource that is here naturally and monitizes it. That in turn makes the right to fish for them go to the highest bidder which I take issue with.

1) Why should the goverment or any entity charge anyone anything to fish for what is a natural public resource? What next, start charging us for air??

2) I don't like the fact that some company with gobs of money can buy up all the catch shares and take out the little guy? Unfair and it happens what do you think is going to happen to the price of that fish when they are the only game in town?

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

Well said, Gerry. You get it.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I get it. I dont like the idea of catch shares. but the comment that it has a rep. feel I think is off base.

republicans are for LESS government and regulation, if anything it has a demo. feel (in my opinion). One thing we agree on is that we both don't like it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve
I get it. I dont like the idea of catch shares. but the comment that it has a rep. feel I think is off base.

republicans are for LESS government and regulation, if anything it has a demo. feel (in my opinion). One thing we agree on is that we both don't like it.
Yes, we agree that it is bad and that is good. However, characterizing the Repubs as being against monetizing a resource and letting the so called "free market" take its course is ridiculous. They live for that sh*t. They think that's the answer to everything. Forget the regulations, let nature take its course!

Well, we tried that in the financial markets and I don't need to remind anyone what happened in 2008 (before our current President took office, I might add).

It would be a total disaster for our fisheries and if they implement catch shares across the board what next? Privatize fishing licences in corporate held Marine Protected Areas? Hey, that's GOP boilerplate "free markets". Whatever the market will bear and that ain't good for us.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well you got your agenda across. You can take backhanded jabs at the Bush administration but nothing can be said about our current President. I was never very supportive of President Bush, but I must admit I am feeling a bit sorry for him. The Democratic candidate in 2032 will still be blaming him for something.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog
Well you got your agenda across. You can take backhanded jabs at the Bush administration but nothing can be said about our current President. I was never very supportive of President Bush, but I must admit I am feeling a bit sorry for him. The Democratic candidate in 2032 will still be blaming him for something.
I won't defend Obama, he has been a chump most of the time. I just don't blame him for everything. That being said I think Mitt probably likes the concept of catch shares. Seems right up his alley.

No backhands when it comes to Bush, and zero sympathy. Here is a forehand for the record. Iraq. There is a trillion, with a T, a trillion dollars down the crapper and for what? Are we better off now? Safer? Is oil cheaper? Do we have fewer or more enemies as a result? Bush and his lying ass gang should be in jail for high treason for that mess. "Miss me yet?" Nope. Sure don't.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Election Day 2008, average gas price was $1.82 a gallon. Sure as hell won't be within a buck fifty of that election day 2012. More than a trillion down the drain in stimulus and loans to companies that pissed the money away. As for catch shares, one name Obama Appointee, Jane Lubchenko, explains it all. Radical environmentalist, PEW lobbyist, catch share enthusiast. Only good thing as she created bipartisan agreement...that she should be removed from her job.