NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Washing reels - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Washing reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadinthesuds
i keep a freshwater spray bottle in the beach truck. spray the reels off soon as i am off jetty or out of surf, dry them off and call it a day. will also spray them with "reel magic". no prob so far
I like that Reel Magic, spray bottle and winter fishing Na shower can't be beat.

Welcome to the site...

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Fine mist and wipe down reel and rod with Reel Magic. Been doing this for years and all my stuff looks new
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lets look at this in a diffrent way. We've all been out when its blowing & it's snotty we're all in the cabin and the poles & reels are out there getting drowned by spray & waves coming over the bow and you think that your living a sceen from deadlist catch. I think there is a lot more salt water getting into the reels this way than than by washing them. Fresh water would help at the very least dilute the salty water in the reels making it less corrosive. That is why I wash my poles & reels after every trip with liquid laundry detergent/water mix & risne with fresh water.

I do my own maintaince & repairs and have only had to replace 1 bearing in a spinning reel in 10 years. For you guys that take your poles & reels in the shower with you, I would perfer a young blond & my wife to be out of town at the time. LOL
Old 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just redid all my reels with greased carbontex drag washers, new spool bearings with TSI 301, etc. I followed directions of Alan Tani and put a light coating of Cal's grease on the interior surfaces to help resist corrosion. I'll see what happens and report back. Over and out.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics
I take the rods into the shower with me, when done fishing. Got into this habit from winter fishing.
I've been taking my wife in the shower. Maybe i'll try my rods instead..not.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics
I take the rods into the shower with me, when done fishing. Got into this habit from winter fishing.
Same here....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy in Point Beach
Just redid all my reels with greased carbontex drag washers, new spool bearings with TSI 301, etc. I followed directions of Alan Tani and put a light coating of Cal's grease on the interior surfaces to help resist corrosion. I'll see what happens and report back. Over and out.
I recently redid my tekota 600's with them and where they struggled with Stripers and Blues, they now tackle them like a champ. Thought I was going to have to find new reels now I am going to stick it out with them.

There was a lot of build-up inside my Avets, they may need to be broken down twice a season. Greased the hell out of them, we'll see what they look like next time I have yo open them.

Last edited by Netkeeper Sportfishing; 05-11-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Old 05-12-2012, 06:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I do not think a light spray of fresh water is going to hurt a reel only help. As far as leaving them out on a snotty day with a steady spray hitting them for the ride in will. I taken to many reels apart that have been loaded with salt from the constant beating of a salt spray. If it's nasty out try to get them out of the spray
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Take them in the shower but unless you are using circle hooks you have to be careful!