NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Blackfishing Rods - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Blackfishing Rods

I know everyone has their own preferences as far as rods are concerned. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means and compared other toggers I suck. I have however noticed that while fishing inshore a lighter rod (lighter in weight) makes a big difference for me in detecting bites, especially the more subtle ones.

I think a big part of that when coupled with a lighter reel is the fact that it requires a lot less effort and a less firm grip to steady a lighter set up. This is especially true when you are at the rail, dipping and raising your pole tip to meet the up and down movement of the boat and seas. Since the set up is lighter and you are not griping it as tightly you get more sensativty.

That being said I've seen some guys with much heavier rods and reels that fish mono put on a clinic when everyone else is struggling. I happen to think some of that is they are not feeling all the bites. Instead, they are only feeling the right bites and therefor are not tempted to swing at the wrong ones.

Anyone have any opinions on this???

It guess it all depends on your style of fishing but for me, the lighter the rod and reel the better.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-08-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Old 12-08-2015, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Blackfishing Rods

I like feeling all the nibbles and scratches. using a sensitive tip.

I just had an 1143 made and went one size up from the normal tip size I use.
It only lets me feel the right tugs, but I dont like it as I want to feel ALL the stuff going on before the right tug happens.

I think it keeps you more ready to pull the trigger when you should be swinging

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Administrator

My opinion is this. Fish the way you like. I disagree with only some of what my larger less handsome brother has to say. I agree with lighter rod and reel. But yes huge giant but here. Light in the sense to rod weight in your hands not light action. But do disagree totally with the lighten sink comment. I seem to find that heavier weight definitely help me to be sure I'm A on the bottom and B when the bite comes it's tugging on my line harder because it's less apt to move my weight and my line will feel the bite better. Just my thoughts. To each his own just my 25 cents here. I'm no sharpie either but I have been taking lessons and getting better
Old 12-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Yes my older and less handsome brother, a light rod as far a weight is concerned, but it has to have a good solid backbone to get the fish up and out of the snags once you set the hook or you're done.

For once, we finally agree on something, I think

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Yes my older and less handsome brother, a light rod as far a weight is concerned, but it has to have a good solid backbone to get the fish up and out of the snags once you set the hook or you're done.

For once, we finally agree on something, I think
Hallelujah
Old 12-09-2015, 12:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm a fan of heavy for blackfish. Heavy line, heavy leader, heavy sinkers, heavy reel. I use one of Bogans Fish poisons with an Avet MXL on it as my main stick. I also have a Lamiglass with a Daiwa 300 I don't like nearly as much.

I see the guys fishing noodle rods for blackfish and yeah it looks fun, but it also goes against everything I ever learned. With the 40# braid and the 60# flourocarben leader I don't feel as much as the guys fishing 20# braid and 30# leader and I get less fish, but I'm also not swinging every single time I feel a scratch.

What I will say is it's a LOT easier to cast with one of those fast action super light rod setups. I'm absolutely terrible casting with the Avet. It's heavy, clumsy, and I end up getting minor amounts of backlash that cut my cast short anyway. Fortunately you don't usually have to cast black fishing. And it could just be me being a crappy caster with no anti-reverse.

To me blackfish is so good because it's so simple and yet deviously complex. I also don't need my rod to bend in half on every single fish I reel up.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

On the NK3 last week I was using my heavier 7 1/2 Fish Poison rod with 50lb braid and 40lb mono shocker. Got stuck in the rocks numerous times and bounced out almost all of them losing one rig and a sinker. The 2 guys next to me had light rods with I think was 25lb braid and no shocker. Each one must have busted off 15-20 times because they couldn't whip out the rigs from the rocks and the alterative is putting the tip down and pulling which usually never turns out well. I think this is also something to consider when choosing your set-up. Of course I did get skunked on the trip and one of the 2 guys had about a 4 pounder.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gerry, here's my opinion.
I would like to touch off on a couple topics that do not apply to rods first, then get to rods.
A good fisherman: I'm sure we see a sharpy now and then kickin ass and we assume, "hey this guy is a 'good fisherman'. Being a good fisherman requires that you are "focused", and practice the sport regulary. You eventually develop a "confidence" that helps you know what to do in certain situations. How to work drag and rod taper, when to strike, how to fight bottom feeders, versus topwater fish.
Luck: This is a small but important part of it. I have seen numerous times where one angler catches three in a row, starts to shoot his mouth off, and for some reason gets cold. What happened, he was good ten minutes ago, but now the other guys are catching. Don't worry about the otjher guys. Just fish.
Now the rod. The most common argument is Graphite versus glass, or composite, a mixture of the two. Industry advertising makes it sound like graphite is "lighter, stronger and more sensitive".
Lightweight: A graphite rod blank weighs maybe an ounce or two less than a glass blank. If that little weight concerns someone, they should join the senior women's sewing club. How are you going to catch the BIG FISH if you are worried about something as little as a couple of ounces.
Stronger: I have never in my life seen a graphite rod that is stronger than glass. This "FACT" has been pushed on us for years and it's just not true. In fact not even close. How many broken graphite rods do you have?
Sensitive: Another advertising HOAX. Sensitivity is an ABILITY. You learn from experience I have fished the Mud Hole for many winters in around 200' water. Glass rod/mono/all the wrong stuff. Go out in a stiff Northwesterly in January, on a cold deck and you learn real quick how to "Feel". It has been, and always will be an Ability. Yes the graphite material is "more sensitive" but, is it an advantage? NO! Keep in mind that any one, of any skill level can say, "I use braid, I use Graphite, I feel the fish fart", but if that guy has that much confidence he will catch, he is focused.
Gerry, good question, but the question should be "how do I catch a Blackfish"?
Here are a few tips that will make most guys more productive.
Flat footed: You can tell when an angler doesn't have a prayer when they stand looking at the horizon. You want to stand sideways to the rail, rod tip low, towards the water. This allows a strong 'PIVOT' when lifting the rod tip. You are able to use your wrist action to lift FAST and more importantly FOLLOW THROUGH. Follow through is the key. No different than swinging a baseball bat or golf club, or throwing a ball.
Check Swing: This is the failure of most anglers. They get a bite and they lift up HALFWAY, and drop the tip. What they did was pull the BELLY out of their line, and just let the fish know there is trouble above. They chased the fish away. Keep the tip low, when you think it's the right time to strike the fish, lift hard and follow through. As the tip bends while the fish is being hooked, you have the momentum on your side. Keep the tip up, start cranking, and slowly lower the tip when you feel he is far enough off the wreck. This is where I like the use of E-glass. It has a softness to the shaft that acts as a shock absorber that helps to control the fish, and helps prevent line breakage, or a lip hooked fish from coming dislodged.
3-6': when you have the fish about 6' off the wreck you can keep the rod a bit more level and when the fish surges you can give and take as you see fit. I do like to use a bit of slippage on my drag, again to act as a shock absorber. Never drop the rod tip quickly.
FOCUS: Don't worry about the other guys. Watch the tip, if you get the slightest bite, you will both feel it, and SEE IT.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Thanks for taking the time and giving the detailed explanation Kevin....

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yeah.... Thanks Kevin!