NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Belmar rig - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Question Belmar rig

What exactly is a belmar rig? Is it just a Dropper loop above the sinker with a single hook on peice of leader? can't find a picture. I've only fished for Blackfish fo 55 years.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Belmar rig

This and alot of other info on a post talking about Blackfish rigs in the Fishing Tips section

I'm definately on the side of no additional hardware. More to loose, more to get snagged and no real benefit to swivels or sinker slider or snaps.

Join your braided line to your top shot using a Uni to Uni or Alberto knot. I prefer the Albeto knot... Easier to tie and it has a lower profile than the uni so it goes through the rod eyes easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

Take the last foot or so of your top shot and double it with a double overhand knot at the top. Put your sinker on that loop.

Make a loop 4 inches or so above your sinker and attached your pre snelled hook with a pre tied loop on to it to that loop. Now take your sinker and the line coming out of it and tie a double overhand knot around your hook loop to keep it in place.

This makes it very easy to re tie rigs when you eventually get snagged and break off.

I like using as stiff leader as possible for the hook leader since it helps keep the hook line away from your main line and tangling back up on it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A Belmar rig is the addition of a slider hook that floats on the leader you attached to the dropper.

some feel that hook burns off on bigger fish. I feel IF you use quality flouro that holds up better to abrasion that additional hook allows more methods for crab attachment , as well as puts alot of fish in the boat

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A belmar rig is a tog rig designed by some of the best captains in belmar some of which are sponsors here on NJFISHING.
THese rigs all have one thing in common--the hook is below the sinker. This allows the free flow of the bait/crab to present more naturally.
There are three versions --actually four now with a new variation used by some lately.
A single hook rig is a rig with a dropper loop at the bottom for a sinker--at the width of say four finger you do a reverse loop over the leader...then attach a pre-snelled single hook with a loop end over the main line leader and pull it through the loop two times...snug down and then bring the sinker loop and loop over main line pull over the loop and inside the loop and pull tight to form a lock knot
The other two versions are two hook variations of the same rig..one with a slider hook above the snelled hook and the other is a snafu rig with two snelled hooks at opposite ends of a snelled leader--giving you two drops with snelled hooks
The latest version is a simple yet very effective style---take a 42"leader...snell a hook on the end--approx. 8 -10" above tie a dropper loop for your sinker---attach to main line via uni- or alberto or swivel if you prefer
We sell the popular 3 versions of the Belmar rig on our site--soon to have the fourth style in 40 lb test with 4/0 octopus available as well
Do the old style Hi/Lo rigs work sure but the belmar rig has consistently taken more blackfish in better size than any other style
Belmar rigs can be found on my site www.palmersbucktails.com and are now at a 20% savings for a limited time to kickoff the season
If you are using braid use at least a 3' or more top shot of mono leader...the sharpies leave the braid at home and prefer mono
I tie my rigs on a hard very abrasion resistant pearlon leader as it stands the hooks out better and doesn't tangle easily---these are the ones you find generally pre-cut in tackle shops

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com

Last edited by PALMERS TACKLE; 03-30-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Hmmm.... Most rigs live seen have the hook leader looped in above the sinker not below it.

Wondering if I've been doing it wrong all these years... That would explain a lot

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Hmmm.... Most rigs live seen have the hook leader looped in above the sinker not below it.

Wondering if I've been doing it wrong all these years... That would explain a lot

NOPE you been doing it right, the sinker does NOT go above the hook.
if tied that way the fish would move the sinker before you felt the line move.
having the sinker on the BOTTOM , is what lets your crab float and bounce around when Thumped .
and lets the sinker stay motionless through out the bite

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:

Your right Gerry all the best rig designs have the hook below the sinker!
All of our rig designs have the hooks approx..6-8" below the sinker loop.

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberheels View Post
What exactly is a belmar rig? Is it just a Dropper loop above the sinker with a single hook on peice of leader? can't find a picture. I've only fished for Blackfish fo 55 years.
Apparently it is whatever we say it is.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Now take your sinker and the line coming out of it and tie a double overhand knot around your hook loop to keep it in place.
Quote:
- Make a loop in the doubled line 3 inches or so above your sinker. Thread a pre snelled hook with a pre tied loop on to that loop. Now take your sinker and the line and tie a double overhand knot around your hook loop to keep it in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALMERS TACKLE View Post
bring the sinker loop and loop over main line pull over the loop and inside the loop and pull tight to form a lock knot
I am not sure I am allowed to revive old thread....

While I was searching for hardware-less, easy tying yet stong tautog/blackfish rig and found this 'belmar rig' fits the bill.

I read over and over at least dozen times to visualize the rig, but still not getting the last step where making double overhand knot. (Also read couple other posts about blackfish rig but no luck)

Can somebody direct me to a picture/video tutorial if there is one ever posted before? or post a picture of the final product of the rig so I can figure out by myself?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Rocknrolla; 09-17-2018 at 08:01 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALMERS TACKLE View Post
Your right Gerry all the best rig designs have the hook below the sinker!
All of our rig designs have the hooks approx..6-8" below the sinker loop.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.