NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tilefish reel recommendation - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-08-2015, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tilefish reel recommendation

If one was going to buy a manual reel specifically for deep dropping on a party boat mainly for tiles, It seems that a level wind would be more convenient.
I haven't been a level wind fan for other purposes (i.e. jigging for cod, bass, fluke etc).. I only bought one in my life and after using it once I disassembled it and removed the level wind. Mainly because it really limited casting. No casting, just dropping for tiles, so not worrying about manually thumb leveling for 900' seems to be a good idea. I was pretty set on buying an Okuma Makaria SEa and still might, but the level wind has me curious.

What are the pros and cons of a level wind for this application? One con possible con I might imagine would be it might slow the bait's decent. I'd think there would be a big advantage to getting to the floor ASAP to allow as much time in the zone before scoping out, is that true? Another con might be on the very rare backlash, a level wind might be more of a PIA. Any other considerations regarding choosing a level wind or not for tiles?

On the Reel Seat site the Diawa Satltist A 50 seems to be a good and economical choice. What do you guys think? A good reel for this purpose? Would it benefit from any modifications or upgrades?

Thanks much, in advance!
JD

Last edited by jjdbike; 01-08-2015 at 07:26 AM..
Old 01-10-2015, 05:58 AM
Site Sponsor

Stop by my shop and I will spend as much time as you want showing you different reel options and explaining the pros and cons of each. At the same time I can also share my jigging experiences with you. From now thru the end of Feb we are open Thurs thru Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm and Sun 8:00am -4:00pm.

The Reel Seat, Inc
Serving the Salt Water fishing community since 1982
707 Union Ave (Rt 71), Brielle
(732) 223-5353
www.reelseat.com
Old 01-10-2015, 06:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Dave. I'll call you today. You're a 2 hour drive each way for me so when I come it'll be to pick up the gear and get on a boat. Thanks again!
JD
Old 01-10-2015, 07:16 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I made the two hour drive yesterday and Dave really took the time to answer all my questions. It's worth the drive. Thanks again Dave............Greg.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:50 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Just another reason to shop local and support small independent businesses. You're not going to get that type of advice and service from the big box stores. They service what they sell and are advocates for our local recreational fishing interests.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area