NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

3/0 4/0 5/0 Hooks For Blackfish? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 3/0 4/0 5/0 Hooks For Blackfish?

Offset hooks, 4/0 or 5/0 but have used 3/0 with success, 12-14 inch leader.....Like the snafu rigs but also use the slider.......Be prepared, bring what your comfortable fishing with but bring variety in event the bite is different that day.....
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use 3/0 - 4/0 bait holder styles , same hook I use wreck fishing . Prefer the longer shank this style offers to hold bait &'allow for better penetration on set since lets you expose more point .
In fact use this same hook for all my bottom fishing applications including fluke with bait .
I primarily use Gami's style # 05414
Old 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
I use 3/0 - 4/0 bait holder styles , same hook I use wreck fishing . Prefer the longer shank this style offers to hold bait &'allow for better penetration on set since lets you expose more point .
In fact use this same hook for all my bottom fishing applications including fluke with bait .
I primarily use Gami's style # 05414
I bought two bulk packs of those Gami's last year and tied 25 hi-lo rigs for sea bass and ling. I must have broken about 10 of those hooks at the lower bait barb when using a dehooker. Every time a mate broke one, they would ask if it was a Gami. I think they are junk and so do most mates and captains that I fish with.

I use Owner 5/0 SSW cutting point for tog on a 12" mono snell. I've never broken one, but have bent a couple when snagged.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisb View Post
I bought two bulk packs of those Gami's last year and tied 25 hi-lo rigs for sea bass and ling. I must have broken about 10 of those hooks at the lower bait barb when using a dehooker. Every time a mate broke one, they would ask if it was a Gami. I think they are junk and so do most mates and captains that I fish with.

I use Owner 5/0 SSW cutting point for tog on a 12" mono snell. I've never broken one, but have bent a couple when snagged.
I agree , Gami's break . Owners are better .
Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Believe me if they were breaking I'd never use em' ! I put over 30 + trips a year on em' wreck , cod tog etc !
Can't remember breaking one de hooking or otherwise , in fact never even bent one in last 5 + seasons unless caught on a wreck .
Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
Believe me if they were breaking I'd never use em' ! I put over 30 + trips a year on em' wreck , cod tog etc !
Can't remember breaking one de hooking or otherwise , in fact never even bent one in last 5 + seasons unless caught on a wreck .
Maybe I had a bad batch, but the mates tell me it is common with that hook.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wow this is a blast from the past! I saw my name and was like hey i didn't make that post until I saw the date, lol.

I've settled on using 4/0-6/0 Jigging World Octopus hooks and all sorts of different style rigs with 50-80lb mono depending on the fishing conditions, location, baits, etc.

Oh wait, I jig for blackfish now, no rigs needed! Haha.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I only use the Gami baitholder hooks for gulp fluke fishing , broke two last year , maybe one the year before , probably because of the cut shank . Bad batch or not it happens . these days Owners for almost everything .
Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Breaking on a fluke definitely sounds like bad hooks , they don't stress a hook like a big tog , cod or pollock,might ! Even when blues invade the wrecks in fall never had one of these fail & we all know dehooking or simply unhooking big blues can stress u & ur hook !
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gamis have had a reputation for brittleness for a while, but lately I've seen some bend, so wondered if they hadn't changed the process to trade off in that direction.