NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

ANDE rods crap? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs down ANDE rods crap?

Alright, I probably would have never opted to purchase these brand new in the store, but I came across a deal that involved a shimano baitrunner 4500 that was worth the whole lot, which included 3 of these ande rods, and two other reels. My brother got one of the ANDE's and I got two. My brother snapped his in the first week just by battling a small bluefish. I figured, alright well it was probably his own fault somehow. It was not until a week ago that I started doubting that, as the 11' ANDE surf rod I've been using started doing something weird that I can't quite explain, involving the reel spinning around the rod while staying in place at the same time. But even that, I thought, "well they are used, maybe this is just coincidence.." until today, when the small one I've been using for plugging/jigging just snaps two eyes from the tip for NO apparent reason. I've never had ANY other brand cause me so many headahces no matter how cheap!! I take good care of my equipment and cannot think of anything I could have done to have made them last any longer. Complete garbage. Anyone else have experience with their rods?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: ANDE rods crap?

The reel spinning around the rod is something that can be fixed by a good builder. We fix many rods that end up with this problem. There are 2 ways to do it: 1- Replace the reel seat, rear grip. 2- Drill a few holes in the reel seat, being careful not to drill into the rod blank itself, and load it up with epoxy. ( easiest/fastest way)

Here is the deal with a rod like Ande. Its like that box of chocolates!!!! Sometimes you are getting a dam good rod, other times you are not. ( they can be the same exact model, but maybe manufactured a year or 6 months apart).

There is not a rod blank manufacturer out there for every brand of rods we see today. Many rod manufacturers, make a large run of rod blanks and companies will buy their blanks, placing their name on them and placing their own hardware based on their specs. This means there are times when you can buy an Ande Rod, that is the same exact rod blank as that $300 rod that has another brands name on it. This is the case with many rods today. Sometimes we get lucky, other times we do not.

Have you contacted the company? I have sold $50 rods that certain brands will stand behind and replace, if it is a defect and not abuse. Which brings me to another possible answer...... if you purchased these rods all from the same person, it is also possible that they were damaged without him even knowing it. If you have a picture of the spot where it broke, PM it to me or post it here and I may be able to tell you if it was a defect, or if it was a damaged rod, prior to you using it. Not all rods are created equal and Ande usually offers a composite or glass rod blank that will hold up much better than graphite. Still, it may have been doomed prior to you buying it.

A defect will break with a certain look, while abuse or accidental abuse will show another type of break. To be honest, Ande & Tsunami are the 2 top brands I sell to my summer/weekend warriors that are tough on rods and toss them in the bed of their pick up, all the while damaging them with every turn and red light. They have always held up to the abuse of most customers. Let me know if you have a picture. A close up of where the break is, from a camera or decent cell phone should do it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yeah, like I said I'm not too worried about it considering i got them bundled in a good deal with some other things i wanted, but it was amazing to me that ALL 3 broke in less than 6 months. And yes they were all from the same person. I will post a picture in a bit. The thing is it just suddenly started looking like it was gonna snap.. all day yesterday I was saying "this rod is going to snap any minute now" and then it did. It seemed bent just below the second eye. It wasn't even a hard snap, it just kinda fell off like it was a soft spot or something. And I love Tsunami! I've had the same one with HEAVY use still going strong after like 6 years. Needs the occasional guide replacement but that's all.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbunker732
Yeah, like I said I'm not too worried about it considering i got them bundled in a good deal with some other things i wanted, but it was amazing to me that ALL 3 broke in less than 6 months. And yes they were all from the same person. I will post a picture in a bit. The thing is it just suddenly started looking like it was gonna snap.. all day yesterday I was saying "this rod is going to snap any minute now" and then it did. It seemed bent just below the second eye. It wasn't even a hard snap, it just kinda fell off like it was a soft spot or something. And I love Tsunami! I've had the same one with HEAVY use still going strong after like 6 years. Needs the occasional guide replacement but that's all.

That Tsunami is probably the same exact rod as a much more expensive brand...no doubt....
Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So I guess you're saying that buying a rod is like a game of chance and I hit the jackpot with my Tsunami and lost it all with the ANDE?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I while back I picked one up that was on sale . Good lookin rod, good price. Been fishin their line for decades ... how bad could it be. It never even saw water , the top 6 inches snapped off setting the drag. Couldn't have had 10 # of drag when it broke.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beachbunker , with used stuff it's buyer beware . I would be interested in seeing a picture of the break also if it's not too much trouble . When you said that it started to act noodley the tube could have been crushed or that section was delaminating . Every time it loads and unloads it opens up more until it fails . Was it a clean break or more of an explosion ?