NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

3 Out Of 3 Tackle Shop Owners Agree, Swing Hooks Work Best - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 3 Out Of 3 Tackle Shop Owners Agree, Swing Hooks Work Best

It's amazing 3 fishermen all agree on one thing. Bucktails with swing hooks work best. After reading the thread that Kevin Bogan started and reading Jersey Coast's comments, I too agree that swing hooks will greatly increase your chances of landing a doormat Fluke. Swing Hooks do not put as much pressure on a Fluke's mouth. Fixed hooks have a tendency to create a hole in the fishes mouth. A few big head shakes and there's goes your doormat. The attached photo is a great example of the damage a fixed hook does to a Fluke's mouth. I fish both fixed and swing hook bucktails but I can tell you I have lost more big Fluke on the fixed hooked model. All of fixed hook bucktails that I fish have stinger hooks to increase catch ratio. Link below for a better photo.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFFLUKE.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	52243  
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 3 Out Of 3 Tackle Shop Owners Agree, Swing Hooks Work Best

Nice post here Max!!! In addition to the better hook up ratio........I never gave much thought to the damage the hook can do, when compared to a swing hook! Again, great point!!!

( BTW, I do NOT have a single swing hook to sell, so its not like I am trying to sell something here! Its just fact! )
Old 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good post. We have been doing a lot of research on both party and private boats. The results are: there is no contest, swing hooks catch more fish.
Also if you tip it with a grup or gulp swim lure it allows the add ons to "swirl" or rotate, it psyches out the Fluke, get's him mad as hell, and they cant resist and actually strike harder, allowing for more solid hook ups.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was out yesterday and personally did a test to see if I noticed any difference between the swing/fixed hook. My test was not scientific by any means but just more of stout observation. What I did was swing all fluke that looked like shorts aboard with fixed hooks and then did the same with the swing hooks. The amount of fish tested was real close to the same. I can honestly say that about forty percent fell off with the fixed hook, when swinging aboard, versus none that fell off with the swing hook. Plus I thought the action was much better with the trailer Gulp on the swing hook then on the fixed hook.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

OK, I need to test these as well...Kevin I will stop in to pick up a few before I go out again. I am a creature of habit so it will be hard to change.

Keefe
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Im still not sold on the swing hook, will have to stop and pick a few up and give it another go.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B
Im still not sold on the swing hook, will have to stop and pick a few up and give it another go.
Rob,
All due respect, but what exactly is there to be "sold' on a swing hook?

Will a fixed hook catch mostly the same amount of fish, if worked properly?? I am pretty sure it will and the difference might be negligible. However, if the swing hook allows for a better landing ratio: you are hedging the odds in your favor. I say give it a try with an open mind and decide for yourself.
Best of Luck !!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1010
Rob,
All due respect, but what exactly is there to be "sold' on a swing hook?

Will a fixed hook catch mostly the same amount of fish, if worked properly?? I am pretty sure it will and the difference might be negligible. However, if the swing hook allows for a better landing ratio: you are hedging the odds in your favor. I say give it a try with an open mind and decide for yourself.
Best of Luck !!!!!
Scooter, give a good fisherman either jig and he will produce. The "landing ratio" has been my arguement all along. You simply land more, lose less.
Good point on action. Most grub style baits are designed to give an action. The swivel allows the grub to swim naturally.
Better action=more fish. Did I mention bigger fish as well?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So do I foresee a friendly competition of "swingers" and "non-swingers"...no pun intended!!! I will be on the non-swingers
Old 08-16-2012, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktailboys.com
So do I foresee a friendly competition of "swingers" and "non-swingers"...no pun intended!!! I will be on the non-swingers
I vote for a Kevin Bogan sponsered swinger/non-swinger tournament.
First Prize a Fish Poison Fluke Rod and 20 assorted swinging bucktails.