NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Senate to Hear Saltwater Registry Debate - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: NJ Senate to Hear Saltwater Registry Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensdock
This bill will keep NJ in step with its reputation for investing in short term economic solutions. It will not provide the smart investment in the future of salt water fishing that a salt water license will provide.
Kensdock,
Thanks for sharing your opinion. But that is what is it...opinion. Let the people go and decide. I would rather base my decision or support on what organizations like the RFA or SSFFF think. No organization is perfect and I don't agree with every single issue but I believe their information and direction is based on reality, facts and and years of hands on experience.
That is my opinion.

Leif
Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned

I you have formed your own opinion. I hope all NJ recreational fishermen take a few minutes and do the same. Here is the results of todays poll.

Thank you, we have already counted your vote.
NJ salt water license with a law dedicating the funds to enhance nj fishing 91% (53 votes)

Set up the mandated registry with the funds going to the us general fund 9% (5 votes)

Total Votes: 58
Return To Poll
PollDaddy.com
Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

RFA-NJ ACTION ALERT - Thursday, December 3 at 10 a.m.
Saltwater Registry Hearing In Trenton

Anglers are reminded to take part in this week's meeting of the NJ Senate Envionrment Committee on Thursday, December 3 at 10 a.m. in Room 10 on the third floor of the State House Annex in Trenton. On the agenda is Senate Bill 2194 sponsored by Sen. Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May) and co-sponsored by Sen. Christopher "Kip" Bateman (R-Somerset), a bill which would create a free recreational saltwater registry in New Jersey to comply with new federal fisheries guidelines for data collection.

As written S2194 would specifically direct the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), in consultation with the Marine Fisheries Council, to establish and implement a registry program for saltwater recreational anglers modeled on the registry program to be established by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). New federal registry requirements will take effect on January 1, 2010.

The Recreational Fishing Alliance supports efforts to establish a free registry, and we're asking that RFA-NJ and RFA-PA members to make plans to be in Trenton on Thursday morning to showsupport. "We would really like to see the state do what Senator Van Drew wants to do," said RFA Executive Director Jim Donofrio.

The State House is located at 125 West State Street in Trenton, NJ 08625. Metered, on-street parking is available along West State Street, while there are several pay lots located within walking distance. Handicap parking is available in the parking garage and on West State Street in front of the State House and Annex and across the street from the State House.

For more information, visit the New Jersey Legislature homepage at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/.

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, visit www.joinrfa.org.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I you have formed your own opinion. I hope all NJ recreational fishermen take a few minutes and do the same. Here is the results of todays poll.

NJ salt water license with a law dedicating the funds to enhance nj fishing 91% (53 votes)

Set up the mandated registry with the funds going to the us general fund 9% (5 votes)

Return To Poll
PollDaddy.com
Perfect! I recommend that you apply for a job at MRFSS. You are right in line with their data collecting standards.

Leif
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Just my 2 cents as I look through my crystal ball, but I see a replay of this with a fee based saltwater license.

http://www.hrfanj.org/cgi-bin/displa...3&TopicID=2215

My vote goes for a free registry, I'm guessing, like most NJ fishermen.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:

Return To Poll
PollDaddy.com
You are too funny.

Talk about false statistics! Talk about a loaded poll!!!!

I notice you did not put the option in about having a free registry or having a "no cost" registry with simply a fee to cover administration costs to the state, even though those arethe two options that were offered.

We have a bill in the Senate that is for a free registry, and you know (because I and others told you ourselves) that the division was offered the option to have ALL of their costs associated with the registry covered and they refused because they wanted more money.

Funny you did not give people the option to vote on anything other than a license or a federal registry when you knew damn well there was another option available that would cost them nothing!

Forget that I had already proved to you with your BS flounder poll that those polls are a joke.

For those of you who do not know I was able to vote over 100 times in one of Ken's "polls" simply by using a series of web proxies.

Leif was right you should try for a job at MRFSS, their numbers have already been proven to be fatally flawed by the scientific community, you and your so called numbers should fit right in.

All I can really say in response to your post is...
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by High low
Just my 2 cents as I look through my crystal ball, but I see a replay of this with a fee based saltwater license.

http://www.hrfanj.org/cgi-bin/displa...3&TopicID=2215

My vote goes for a free registry, I'm guessing, like most NJ fishermen.

Whitman and Schwarzenegger both tried to divert funds from both Wallop-Breaux and Dingell-Johnson protected funds in the past. Both were told if they pressed on they would not only lose future funds but would have to pay back all Wallop-Breaux and Dingell-Johnson funds given in the years they diverted license fees from. Both decided not to pursue the diversions.

Both Corzine and Christie have stated they will not sign on to any non-funded mandates.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

CaptainTB. Believe it or not most people are honest. I am sure your remember that the poll was right on with the flounder option. It was also in line with the comments received by the ASMFC weakfish board recently.The polls real do not mater at the end of the day anyway unless you are a politician.
The days of bad choices going unanswered are over. I know that the RFA is unhappy about the peoples chair at the table. Nj anglers have a right to voice their OWN onion.

“The Board received a significant amount of public comment supporting a coastwide moratorium. In
recognition of this, it chose to implement measures that would discourage directed fishing, limit bycatch
mortality, and ensure that critical sampling programs remain on track,” stated Board Chair Roy Miller.

BY ALEXANDER LANE
(Newark) STAR-LEDGER STAFF
February 6, 2005

Whether fighting no-fishing zones, keeping white marlin off the endangered-species list or elbowing commercial fishermen out of favored waters, the Recreational Fishing Alliance makes its voice heard.

The New Jersey-based RFA, which has chapters in all coastal states, bills itself as a “grassroots political action organization representing individual sport fishermen and the sport-fishing industry.” It frequently touts its tens of thousands of members in brochures and press releases.

But according to two recent lawsuits against its executive director, there’s only one member that really matters. The suits say that New Gretna-based Viking Yacht Co., one of the nation’s premier luxury yacht manufacturers, tightly controls the non-profit, tax-exempt RFA, and the two operate as a “single integrated enterprise.”

Fishing advocates and environmentalists said they have long believed as much, maintaining that the RFA cares more about Viking’s interests than those of the fishermen it claims to represent.

“There’s a big difference between what they do and what we do,” said Al Marantz, a founding member of the all-volunteer Jersey Coast Anglers Association, with a membership of about 30,000. “Decisions can be made by (Viking CEO) Bob Healey himself and
not really correspond to the wishes of the fishermen.”
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

By Lee Tolliver
The Virginian-Pilot
© September 13, 2009

The 2010 Budget Reduction Plan released recently by Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has some anglers squirming.

Kaine has cut the General Fund contribution to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission by 15 percent and will extract $300,000 from the saltwater license fund to help pay for law enforcement support.

The fund uses money from the purchase of saltwater fishing licenses to support projects related to recreational fishing.

VMRC commissioner Steve Bowman said Friday that he understands why anglers are upset. But he cautioned that the governor is simply using options in the state code in his attempt to balance the budget.

"I understand that the constituency is concerned, but the Constitution of Virginia requires a balanced budget," Bowman said. "This has happened before.
"And the bottom line is that we're all doing the best we can in a very tough budget year."

Bowman said Kaine's budget also eliminates state funding for oyster replenishment projects and other programs that the VMRC oversees.
"This is tough on everybody," he said.

According to the VMRC Web site, the license fund is worth approximately $1.6 million.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

§ 28.2-302.3. Virginia Saltwater Recreational Fishing Development Fund established

There is hereby established a special, nonreverting fund in the state treasury to be known as the Virginia Saltwater Recreational Fishing Development Fund, hereafter referred to as the Fund. The interest earned on the principal of the Fund also shall not revert to the general fund. The Fund shall be administered by the Commission, to be used solely for the purposes of conserving and enhancing finfish species taken by recreational anglers; enforcing the provisions of §§ 28.2-302, 28.2-302.1, and 28.2-302.6 through 28.2-302.9 and regulations promulgated thereunder; improving recreational fishing opportunities; administrating the Virginia Saltwater Sport Fishing Tournament certificates program; obtaining necessary data and conducting research for fisheries management; and creating or restoring habitat for species taken by recreational fishermen. The Fund shall consist of moneys collected pursuant to §§ 28.2-302, 28.2-302.2, and 28.2-302.6 through 28.2-302.9.

(1992, c. 895; 1995, c. 169.)

emphasis added