NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sea Sicknes help? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Sea Sicknes help?

hey guys just wondering if you had any reccomendations for preventing sea sickness. Maureens going with me on sunday on the monger and last year she got sick towards the end of the trip and we do not want to take any chances. I've never gotten sick so I'm of no help. any reccomendations??

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Sea Sicknes help?

Transderm patches work...but you need a prescription.

1 litter bottle of Ginger Ale uncapped in the fridge for a couple days (takes fizz out). Ginger is the only substance that has been proven to naturally calm the stomach. Chew some pretzel rods and wash 'em down with the flat soda.

Never go below deck (unless she has to of course).

Good luck and bring a camera for memories.

Fin~S
Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

take dramamine the night before the trip, get it into the system, and follow up with another first thing in the morning. This allows it to get into the system, taking it in the morning is like pee peeing into the wind!

This should cure her for the day and she should be good to go!

or if she is really worried about getting sick, she can stay on the beach and ill fill her spot lol
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I always make my friends jump in the water after they do experience a lil Mal De Mar, neutralizes the equilibrium and generally a good refreshing spurt can clean you out a bit. If she chums though and the sharks are around I would choose otherwise. Flat ginger is the HOT SH*T always carry some on the boat, and eating a little bit here and there def helps as well (combo's, pretzel rods, nature valley granola bars)
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

All the otc stuff dramimine, bomine, causes drowsiness. As does the patch, to a lesser extent, though.

As earlier posted gingerale, we never needed it to be flat. Would give it a try though.

You can pick up some ginger tablets at most mega drug stores, health stores or supermarkets. These are an excellent before trip method of prevention. And, can be used after the fact as well. Also take along some gingerale, gingersnaps, pickled ginger, fresh ginger. Any form of ginger will do great as a remedy and preventer.

If all else fails, bring along the raven haired girl named Ginger, she should get everybody thinking about things, other than seasickness.

Ginger is the way to go, it has worked for the kids, and those who have tried all the other stuff.

Hope this helped.

Let us know how it worked.

Pete
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Sea Sicknes help?

Skip the Pretzel Rods and bring a bag of Ginger Snaps. I usually bring them on the club Kid's Trips for the Newbies. Might just be mind over matter, but when I tell the kids it worked for me it then seems to work for them.

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Dramamine is good but Meclazine won't make her so tired. It is available over the counter is usually in with the Dramamine and marked non-drowsey. Just need to take two about 1-2 hours before she gets on the boat. Have seen this work for people when other remedies didn't do so well.

Ginger is the best natural remedy out there as said before. Take a bag of ginger snap cookies on the boat and have her munch on those while you're out along with the ginger ale.

Hope she does ok and have a great trip
Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Site Sponsor

there are two kinds of seasick remedies that we carry ..one is Quease Ease....this is an inhaler and seems to work very well ,and does not make you sleepy...the other is Motion Ease...this is a liquid that you apply to the neck area just behind the ear.....many people have tried both and seem to work well...However ,everyone is different so results may vary.....Hope this helps you out....Pete

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ginger helps but please note that many ginger ale sodas don't contain any ginger at all. Believe only one brand actually does so check out the label.

Bonine usually works for those I know that take it. Take one the night before and in the morning on the way to the boat. Supposedly it's the non-drowsy version of Dramamine.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Site Moderator

Pick up some FRESH Ginger Root in your local supermarket and have her chew on it; pure ginger