NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

cat trick - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default cat trick

my catfish rig-

an old fluke setup: 6'6" ML rod, shimano 3500 baitrunner, 17lb mono, 1/2 oz slip sinker kept 2' from bait with small split shot stop, snap swivel, treble hook. Cut three slices of dog about an inch thick. Poke the snap swivel through the center of the first two dogs and slide them up the line. Take the last piece of dog and push the treble hook thru the center until the hookeye protrudes thru the other side. Connect the snap swivel, cast carefully, reel in slack, hold rod with line on finger, ignore little eel taps. good luck
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: cat trick

I fish the Delaware river mostly. I like to use either a stout 15-20lb test 6' spinning or conventional setup, either works just fine. I rig my stuff up like a three way swivel setup for stripers or weakfish. The singer dropper line should be about 18" long and the hook leader about 30" long. I use a treble hook on the end of a small plastic ribbed tube. For bait, I dip the tube and hook into Catfish Charlie cheese bait with a wooden tongue depressor. Shove it down in there real good and cover it with the cheese dip then pull it out and start fishing. The dip stays on better in the colder water. If you get a hit but don't hook the fish, pull up and rebait because the cat sucked it clean. Just lift the sinker off the bottom back behind the boat in the river current and put it back down, gently "feeling" for the bottom.

Most of the fish are channel cats up to six pounds which feel heavier because you are fighting fish and current too. Use just enough weight to maintain bottom contact.