NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2/22 Moving Water Trout Attempt - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default 2/22 Moving Water Trout Attempt

Edit: It was 2/23

Hi All,

So, I headed out to the hatchery today about 6am. Was the second guy on the water, but soon had lots of company. It was my second attempt at moving water trout with spinning gear, first on a respectable trout stream. There were about a dozen guys using flies when I left, and a couple of guys spinning. Tried from the sluice, down past the bridge.

To be honest, I felt like a fish out of water. Besides being 1 of 3 guys spinning, I was the only one working from shore. I didn't see anyone catching anything but there was a lot of runoff and it was still cold. I fished for about 90 minutes, and broke my line 5 times (Berkley Vanish 4LB Fluoro). The tip of the pole was icing up, that may have been shaving the line. I was using Trout Magnets, as were the other two spinners.

Long story short (too late!), I want to try again, but It was frustrating to say the least. Anything I can change to help avoid the breakage? Technique or hardware? Is it worth getting some waders? I see people being successful from the shore, and thought I could do the same. Any tips would be appreciated!

Good luck, and tight lines all!

Last edited by RJHooker; 02-23-2014 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: error
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2/22 Moving Water Trout Attempt

I use spinning gear, too. I fish small jigs (1/16, 3/32, or 1/32 oz) on 6 lb P-Line CXX--the green box. I never had an issue with my line just cutting from a frozen rod tip. A little petroleum jelly, Pam, or a variety of other products on the market on the guides can aid in minimizing iced guides. Waders help. It allows you to fish holes from diff angles etc. I never had luck with trout magnets but people swear by them.

That area is stacked with fish. This time of year, smaller tends to be better. Drift bead head woolly buggers along seams or bounce small hair jigs. As for your line breakage, if it's just cutting without being aided by a snag, I can think of 2 possibilities. 1.) check the tip of your rod with a cotton ball or q-tip for scratches. If cotton is getting caught up on the tip, then you obviously have a scratch and you've likely found the cause of your breakage. 2.) If the tip is scratch-free, you may have a bad batch of line. Unfortunately, it happens. Strip the spool and re-spool with new stuff.

And tie good knots! Good luck man!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Wow Jigman, Thank you very much for all the good info!

A couple of times I got snagged, but even when i was trying to tie, the line just kept snapping. This is the first time I have used Flouro for the main line, and I have noticed it is very stretchy, causing a chaotic whipping action when force is applied.

Going to get some waders, I think it's a tool that shouldn't be overlooked if someone is serious about getting in those holes.

I got a lot to learn, but you took a lot of the guess work out, and I can't thank you enough. Good luck out there, and tight lines!

Last edited by RJHooker; 02-24-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHooker View Post

A couple of times I got snagged, but even when i was trying to tie, the line just kept snapping. This is the first time I have used Flouro for the main line, and I have noticed it is very stretchy, causing a chaotic whipping action when force is applied.

Going to get some waders, I think it's a tool that shouldn't be overlooked if someone is serious about getting in those holes.

I got a lot to learn, but you took a lot of the guess work out, and I can't thank you enough. Good luck out there, and tight lines!
If your fluoro was breaking as you were tying it and seemed stretchy as you said, get some new line
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHooker View Post

Np... and dont forget to moisten the knot with some saliva prior to tightening it up. You want it to slip tight--not bind, overlap, or get curly from the friction. And yea, new line, too!