NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fly fishing for Stripers from surf and jetties - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Fly fishing for Stripers from surf and jetties

Fly fishing for Stripers from the surf and jetties

Striped Bass were made to be caught on a fly. Their feeding patterns and close proximity to the shore line and Jetties make them accessible, even to the novice angler. If you have fly-fished for trout and other species you have a slight advantage but with today’s equipment and advancements anyone who likes to fish for Stripers can be a pro in no time. The trick is to keep it simple and with a little practice you will be on your way.

In this post I will attempt to dispel some myths associated with Saltwater Fly-fishing for Stripers, provide simple information on how to get started in the sport including the four flies that will cover most situations. The post will primarily deal with surf and jetty fishing situations. Again feel free to comment.

This post is primarily directed to those who may be interested in getting started in saltwater fly fishing and to give some perspective and general information on the sport.

Myths

“Fly fishing for stripers is light tackle fishing”

While this can be true in some cases, The rods and reels manufactured now are capable of handling fish up to a hundred pounds or more yet are very light due to advancements in technology, the use of thermoplastic resins, graphite, aircraft grade aluminum and impressive drag systems.

“It is an expensive sport”

Again, while it can be, you can have a good set up (rod, reel, and line) for Stripers and Blues for under $400.00. Not cheap but in comparison to some spinning and conventional equipment I’ve seen lately, not bad.

“It’s too complicated”

With the advancements in loop to loop connections, no knot systems and a little research and practice, you will only have to change leaders, tie standard knots and change a shooting head (Fly line for different situations like floating or sinking line)

“I can’t cast far enough to catch fish”

Most fish I have caught have been right in the wash in the “gully” or along a jetty. A thirty to forty foot cast is all you need. Having out fished others using live bait and plugs, I have to say this may be more effective than other standard methods of catching Striped Bass.

What you will need

One mistake that fisherman do when undertaking the sport is to purchase a rod that is too light. If you fish for stripers, especially from the surf you need a rod that will be able to punch out large flies in wind, turn big fish take a beating. Leave the 8-9 weight rods home. They will work in dead calm conditions. I do own them but only use them occasionally for smaller fish at the end of the season.

Rod, reel, line and leader

I use a nine ft Orvis 11 weight rod with 12 weight shooting heads. I also use a Lamson fly reel capable of holding 300 yards of 30# Dacron or gel spun backing, a 100ft of running line and 28ft for the shooting head.( I use Floating or Intermediate)

There are many manufactures, do some research and buy the best rod you can afford. For the surf and jetty I would not go lower than a fast action 10 weight rod and use an appropriately matched reel.

For the leader I use a four foot piece of 50-60lb mono leader with a perfection loop in each end. Attached to that is a four foot piece of 17-20lb fluorocarbon leader, perfection loop to the butt.

This may seem like over-kill (it is a Tarpon rod) but make no mistake, a five pound bass is still a thrill on this rod. You will be able to fish in most conditions when you need to and when that cow starts heading for the rocks; you can put the heat on.

am not out to have “fun” with the fish. I want to land them as quick as possible and keep it if it is a keeper or let it go if unharmed if I choose.

Waders, Korkers, (Cleats) and Striping basket

If you already have a good pair of waders and carbide tipped cleats, you are set. All you need is an adjustable wading belt and a striping basket to “catch” the line as you strip it in. Use one with molded cones so the running line tangles less.

Striper Flies

Over the last twenty years I have tied many flies and have tried them all. I have found the following flies to be the most effective at the time listed next to them. If you do a search on any of these flies you will find images and information on how to tie them or where to buy them.

1) Popovick’s Spread Fly 2/0-4/0 Herring imitation Spring May-June

Cast up current or into wave alongside the jetty

2)Lou Tabory’s Snake Fly 2/0-3/0 Mullet imitation Fall Sept-Jan

Especially productive during the mullet run near the corners of the jetty or wash. Let the current /wave
action work the fly.

3) Lefty’s Deceiver 2/0-4/0 General Small Baitfish Spring May-June

Best color is chartreuse/white, fish in the corners near the beach in spring and late fall.

4) Bob Clouser’s Minnow 1/0-3/0 Spring and Fall

The weighted head gives this fly a jigging action that imitates an injured baitfish.

Each fly is fished differently. What makes them so productive is their ability to appear natural when fished and presented in the Striper’s feeding lane.

Use floating line for the Snake fly and intermediate for the rest as a general rule.

Earlier in the spring a sinking line may be more effective. Experiment!!!

Most retailers, either on-line of brick and mortar will generally be helpful or “put together” an outfit for you based on your budget and experience. They will also put the backing, running line and fly line on the reel for you at purchase.

Hope this was helpful.

Give it a try and good luck,

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly Photos 3.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	28084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Stripers.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	28085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Angler 5.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	28086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake fly.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	28087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly Photos 1.jpg
Views:	7247
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	28088  

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Fly fishing for Stripers from surf and jetties

The snake fly in yellow, is my go to fly in the surf, river or estuary especially with black flashabou or ostrich herl on top. Kinda resembles the ol school bus bomber... I'll see if I can post a picture later.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fly fishing for Stripers from surf and jetties

Good simple "how to" Leif. That snake fly looks wicked "waking" up on top.