NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Baitrunner Spinning Reel Questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Baitrunner Spinning Reel Questions

I am looking to pick up 2 new spinning baitrunners for my father and I for this season.. We had the Okuma ones but i was not happy with them at all... Cheap reel.. I was shopping around and saw the Shimano Baitrunner Spinning Reel.. looks like a decent reel.. Anyone used one? Like it? Or Can anyone recommend one that they have used and liked..

Open to anything..

Rather spend a few more bucks for a great reel then go cheap and have nothing but problems again..

thanks for any input!

Jeff

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Baitrunner Spinning Reel Questions

Saltlife...Come on down to the shop...I will let you borrow my 6000 Shimano Bait runner....If you like it ...I will sell you a couple ...Can"t beat that...Pete .....Atlantic Bait and Tackle...732-787-2248

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancunPete
Saltlife...Come on down to the shop...I will let you borrow my 6000 Shimano Bait runner....If you like it ...I will sell you a couple ...Can"t beat that...Pete .....Atlantic Bait and Tackle...732-787-2248

Hey thanks Pete.. I will have to come down and check it out.. What is your take on it? Good reel that holds up?

RFA

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Can't beat Pete's offer to try it out first!

I can only add that I have 2 of them ... the 8 D on my 11 foot and the 6 on my 10 foot and I have had flawless performance with very minimal freshwater washdown maintenance for 2 years of heavy use ...
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Site Sponsor

Have been using them for Sailfish down in Cancun for several years now ....and they hold up well ...should be no problem for the type of fish we catch up here.....

Now located at
25 Route 36 East
Middletown NJ
Just passed CVS on Route 36 East

732-787-2248
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I was down on these Shimano Bait Runner reels based on the issues I had with the earlier 3500/4500 models. They did not seem to hold up well, sloppy anti reverse, skipping in and out of gear when reeling etc.

That being said, wifey bought me the 8000 for my birthday 2 years ago and it has been flawless. Very smooth and trouble free so far and a big improvement over the 3500/4500.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Jeff I've been using them for years and love them. I'm not sure I think I have a pair of the 4500's. Great dead stick fluke setups, just set the liveliner drag enough to drag the sinker along the bottom so if the fluke picks up the bait, the drag will sing, then just flip the switch or reel down engaging the main drag and set the hook! Also my favorite for night bluefishing on a PB or chunking for bass, same story as above. Funny story, last year i was doing a night bluefish trip and i was sorta competing with another guy my age who had a brand new Avet. He kept talking big about the Avet, but when I was able to cast out right into the chum slick and almost immediately hook up and he kept hearing the drag scream when a fish ran with my bunker chunk vs him having to let out line to get out there, he was pisssssseeeedddddd.... I think I won the pool that night and I was laughing my ass off. Other guys saw what was going on and laughing as well. Penn has one too that is decent I heard, but have never tried them personally.

Last edited by MrAC1980; 03-05-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for the input guys.. Looks like I have made my choice.. Going to go down to Petes tomorrow and check them out.. Sounds like everyone is happy with them!

RFA

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980
Hey Jeff I've been using them for years and love them. I'm not sure I think I have a pair of the 4500's. Great dead stick fluke setups, just set the liveliner drag enough to drag the sinker along the bottom so if the fluke picks up the bait, the drag will sing, then just flip the switch or reel down engaging the main drag and set the hook! Also my favorite for night bluefishing on a PB or chunking for bass, same story as above. Funny story, last year i was doing a night bluefish trip and i was sorta competing with another guy my age who had a brand new Avet. He kept talking big about the Avet, but when I was able to cast out right into the chum slick and almost immediately hook up and he kept hearing the drag scream when a fish ran with my bunker chunk vs him having to let out line to get out there, he was pisssssseeeedddddd.... I think I won the pool that night and I was laughing my ass off. Other guys saw what was going on and laughing as well. Penn has one too that is decent I heard, but have never tried them personally.

lol.. that is the best.. I love my avets and i can cast them pretty good but not as well as a spinning reel.. can really whip it out there.. Like you said.. u were able to flip it out right into the chum and set the runner.. then slam fish back to back..

RFA

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a Shimano 4500 I got a few months ago when an old tenant left it behind. ( Free is best )
Have yet to use it. It seems smooth with minimum tension on it. I changed the old mono line to 50 lb PP and a 40 lb mono topshot.
Question for you guys...it was mounted on an 8 foot Jarvis Walker ( a Penn Co. ) MH rod, rated for 3/4--3oz lures.
Have never used more than a 7 footer on PB's, 6-packs, or my own boat.

Can I use that outfit on the Papa's Angels or similar boats next month for stripers ?? I can't wait to get out again.

Tight lines all.