NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lami Rod Rebuild Suggestions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Lami Rod Rebuild Suggestions

Hey guys, someone gave me an old Lamiglas Figure 8 Special musky rod. I love the action but the guides are shot as the clear coating on most of the eyelits are cracked/chipped. Was wondering what would it cost to rebuild it? And is it worth it? Not looking for any super high end guides or wraps and the cork handle is fine.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lami Rod Rebuild Suggestions

If you are going to do it yourself...worth it.

It is more work taking off the old guides and not damaging the rod.

Once you have removed the guides properly and prepare the blank it would only take a couple hours, if that to under wrap(if you want) and wrap on the guides.

Sealing the guides is easy if you know how and if you have a low RPM dryer motor, it is even easier.

Kevin Bogan may do it for you and he would be able to tell you if it is worth it or not.

A set of AT lite Virtus saltwater guides may cost $25.00(you can get a cheap set of casting guides for $12.00 and I do not recommend that), epoxy for the guides, $12.00 and thread $3.00

$40.00 for materials..................

Leif

Last edited by Leif; 02-25-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Any rod that is " A Perfect Fit" to a fisherman is worth more than gold to that fisherman. Whether its a $25 rod or $150 rod, if its exactly what you want, its worth it.

First, let me say this can be tricky. You may add it all up and say hell with it, I can buy a brand new one for less money!! This theory has its issues!!! Let me explain: every once in a while, we buy a manufactured rod that was lucky to be wrapped with the guides placed on the actual spine of the rod blank!! When this happens, we often see a fisherman rave about a cheap rod that is better than any other he has owned. If you are lucky enough to have this situation, well then, buying a new one may not end up being the right call. 2 exact rods from a manufacturer will have 2 different feels at times. So youyr rolling the dice here with replacing it.

Some rods will cost more than others when it comes to a re-wrap. The smaller the rod, the more work it is & the more of a chance that it will be damaged in the process. ( I am talking diameter )

We have re-built rods for as little as $50 and as much as $300. Guides will probably cost you $10 -$20. Your best bet is to find a member here who is willing to it on the side and maybe you can barter. If your willing to pay a few bucks and want it done right away, we have a few sponsors here that are rod builders like I am.

It really comes down to the material of the rod blank and the amount of work that is required. You can damage the rod by simply touching the blank wrong, while removing the guides. I may be able to give you a better idea if you post a photo up here of the rod, and a close up of 1 guide area.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

thanks guys, I'll see about taking a picture of guides tonight.

Last edited by MrAC1980; 02-25-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hope this helps. Here is the first two guides.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1&l=aaa54676a3
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here is a pic of the first guild closest to the handle. I got a price of $75 for a rewrap with Fuji guides, 7 guides + the tip.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980
Here is a pic of the first guild closest to the handle. I got a price of $75 for a rewrap with Fuji guides, 7 guides + the tip.
Sounds fair to me...If you like the rod. Do it. Looks like those rod are around $260.00 new.

Leif
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Two years ago I had a 7'6" MH bottom fishing rod re-wrapped by a guy up here in Sussex County. I don't even know the brand of the rod. I bought it 40 years ago. Don't remember where. .
I liked the feel of it so 8 Fuji guides & a tip @ $7 bucks a piece was worth $63 to me. The guy even cleaned up the cork grips for me. He did a nice job, but I'm sure it's too far for you to travel.
$75 seems like a fair price. Just my 2 cents.

Tight lines.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I asked him about the American Tackle guides and he said they were $25 more. Do you think the Fuji guides are fine?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I asked him about the American Tackle guides and he said they were $25 more. Do you think the Fuji guides are fine?
Nice blank deserves nice guides. Those AT are the best casting guides I have seen. Fuji...in my opinion are not what they used to be.

AT Duralite™ Ring, Black Chrome 316 SS Frame. Suitable for 20-40lb. class rods.

Set of those guides should be around $20 plus delivery if he has to order them. So $25 is correct.

That is what I would do if I loved the rod/blank.

Leif