NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ultra Minnow Mold - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Unhappy Ultra Minnow Mold

I need some help with this. I just got the mold to make 5 / 6 & 8 Ounce jigs.
The hook that is recomended appears to be too large. Has anyone had any experience with this useing smaller hooks, I plan to use them fluke fishing.
Any size and manufacture name & model number would be very much appreciated. I have been told that without making modifications to the mold other than the recommended hook, others won't work, so I am asking the experts for help !!!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Tom Ciuba
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ultra Minnow Mold

Tom,

Your issue is doubtless the most common problem people have when using the UM molds - people want to use 5/0s and they are forced to use 8/0s and 9/0s.

The answer is that you can utilize smaller jig hooks, though you will need to slightly modify the hook-eye area of your mold with a Dremel, which really is no big deal.

What I've also done is to get an extra set of molds and modify them to use a swing hook design. This is done by modifying the tail end of the molds to accept large brass eyes, to which hooks are affixed via snap rings. This design is great because it enables you to use your favorite hook size of choice on jigs of every size.

Macs B&T on Rt 35 North in Belmar stocks the jighooks in all different sizes, as well as all other components needed to make your bucktails. Prices are great as well. Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Dear Mr. Daly, Thanks so much for the insight. Now I have to be a pain. Would you have any photos or details on how to do this. I have a dremel but I also have 2 left hands & dont want to ruin the mold. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Do you think Mac's bait can help me with this issue as I am a customer there, its not far from my home.
AGAIN..... THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Tom Ciuba
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Site Sponsor

You have to carefully trim down the center pin of the mold where the eye fits till it is the size of the eye of the hook you are going to use.
201-368-8751[/SIZE]
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you are using 5-8 oz jigs for fluke it doesn't matter what size the hook is. All it does is snag skates and an occassional fluke that's going after the high hook. 99% of mouth hooked fluke will be on the trailer hook. All last year I caught one fluke on the jig hook and that was a 4 oz.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman
If you are using 5-8 oz jigs for fluke it doesn't matter what size the hook is. All it does is snag skates and an occassional fluke that's going after the high hook. 99% of mouth hooked fluke will be on the trailer hook. All last year I caught one fluke on the jig hook and that was a 4 oz.

If all you're doing is snagging skates you're doing it wrong, and YES hooks matter.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ciuba
Dear Mr. Daly, Thanks so much for the insight. Now I have to be a pain. Would you have any photos or details on how to do this. I have a dremel but I also have 2 left hands & dont want to ruin the mold. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Do you think Mac's bait can help me with this issue as I am a customer there, its not far from my home.
AGAIN..... THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Tom Ciuba
Tom

You might want to reach out to Sam the Sinker Man. Trying to dremel out mold if you do not do it right can be a costly mistake. For a little more than cost of doing yourself you can order heads with the hooks you want at a great price without scewing up molds.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

you can drill out he eye section and that would require you to trim /clean more lead off after the pour--and many don't also realize that the brass sinker eyes Size 2 will fit and you can adjust hook size using plain O'Shaunessey hook your choice of size.

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Site Sponsor

Yes you can drill out the eye section to fit the #2 brass eye but there will be alot more trimming of lead off of the eye, but there is a way to eliminate that. I'll let the experts explain that.......Also remember that no matter how you alter the mold there really is no way to go back to the original way it was...But then again I'm wrong about that also.
201-368-8751[/SIZE]
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sinker Man
Yes you can drill out the eye section to fit the #2 brass eye but there will be alot more trimming of lead off of the eye, but there is a way to eliminate that. I'll let the experts explain that.......Also remember that no matter how you alter the mold there really is no way to go back to the original way it was...But then again I'm wrong about that also.
I tried the brass eye. The problem with brass is solder(lead) sticks to it like copper and it's a pain to clean off. Need a steel alternative.