NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

i remember ...... - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: i remember ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Things are different for sure in habitats etc and no arguing that its " not the old days" but there are still fish to be caught.

To be CLEAR those of us discussing the regulations its NOT about "looser" regs as much as its about FAIR and Equitable Regs for recreational and tightening on commercial to best sustain any species. Just want fisheries management to level the playing field for the fish first and sensible harvest across the board for stewards of the sea which most (not all) are.

Rules in Federal waters have to change . State landings are adjusted per state , but stop at the 3 mile line .
Nj boats through the summer could legally land 3000 pounds of fluke per week .
Boats coming from other states fishing the same waters were able to take 30000 pounds as long as they stayed outside the line .

And that’s happening from the Carolina’s to Maine .

No way for a state to address its fisheries while that goes on .

Would think local commercial boats would want to push back on that .
As local landings were bringing over 4 bucks a pound .
Once NC 7 day boats flooded the market price dropped to 60 cents a pound .

Huge drop in your weekly pay when that happens

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-14-2024, 04:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Things are different for sure in habitats etc and no arguing that its " not the old days" but there are still fish to be caught.

To be CLEAR those of us discussing the regulations its NOT about "looser" regs as much as its about FAIR and Equitable Regs for recreational and tightening on commercial to best sustain any species. Just want fisheries management to level the playing field for the fish first and sensible harvest across the board for stewards of the sea which most (not all) are.
Well said!
Old 02-14-2024, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Rules in Federal waters have to change . State landings are adjusted per state , but stop at the 3 mile line .
Nj boats through the summer could legally land 3000 pounds of fluke per week .
Boats coming from other states fishing the same waters were able to take 30000 pounds as long as they stayed outside the line .

And that’s happening from the Carolina’s to Maine .

No way for a state to address its fisheries while that goes on .

Would think local commercial boats would want to push back on that .
As local landings were bringing over 4 bucks a pound .
Once NC 7 day boats flooded the market price dropped to 60 cents a pound .

Huge drop in your weekly pay when that happens
Hammer all valid points I agree with. No fishery can be pounded year round as the fluke fishery is and sustain itself. And as I've said ad nauseum, the spawn needs to be protected as does the spawning stock and until those changes are made, if ever, this fishery or any similar fishery will in my opinion be at tremendous risk of being lost to future generations both recreational and commercial. Then what happens to catch values and what stock will supplement the loss of a year round money fish like summer flounder.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The recs lost out to the commercial guys won plain and simple! (Except for Striped Bass in NJ) Yeah years a go we kept more fish than we should have but it didn't put a dent into the stocks. Not like some trawler dragging the top-bottom and in-between 7 days a week and throwing away more undersized by-catch in a month than the recs catch in a season. Money talks and BS walks you would think? The amount of money spent on rec fishing has to be sizable? The bottom line is "They want ALL OF THE FIsh" and screw the recs! Oh yes there is a answer but it will cost! Tight Lines!
Old 02-16-2024, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have no issue with restrictions on imperiled species, but the restrictions keep coming even after populations rebound. Black sea bass and red snapper would be great examples of fisheries that should be back to year round seasons. Locally, effectively closing black sea bass during the summer has negatively impacted ling and even fluke.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tautog View Post
I have no issue with restrictions on imperiled species, but the restrictions keep coming even after populations rebound. Black sea bass and red snapper would be great examples of fisheries that should be back to year round seasons. Locally, effectively closing black sea bass during the summer has negatively impacted ling and even fluke.
Sea bass are crushing the lobster fishery .
It’s crazy how many we catch in ruff areas that throw up a 3-4” lobster . Or have claws sticking out of their mouths .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-23-2024, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Back in the 70’s there were not many stripers in RB. Even at the 18” size limit a landed Striper was newspaper worthy. Fred B+T would run a tournament every year and there were 20 legal bass checked in at best. Once the commercial take was removed and the bunker protected…look at us now.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
It’s crazy how many we catch in ruff areas that throw up a 3-4” lobster . Or have claws sticking out of their mouths .
We see the same thing on our night trips.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Just like I think the abundance of striped bass are effecting the Fluke in Raritan Bay. They need to increase the sea bass catch to at least 5 during the summer. This would take a lot of pressure off of the Fluke in the ocean. And also help the recreational fishing industry. People want to come home with some fresh fish.

Last edited by Detour66; 02-24-2024 at 11:25 AM..
Old 02-24-2024, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detour66 View Post
Just like I think the abundance of striped bass are effecting the Fluke in Raritan Bay. They need to increase the sea bass catch to at least 5 during the summer. This would take a lot of pressure off of the Fluke in the ocean. And also help the recreational fishing industry. People want to come home with some fresh fish.
Won't happen.. have you guys seen the price of a skinny 13 inch one pound sea bass???.. 20 something bucks up here at wegmans on ice and so old the gills are grey and the eyes are white.. even an iced 1 1/2 pound bluefish is probably 12-13 bucks or more these days... Fluke?.. Flounder?... insanity prices, more than shrimp.. Yet people pay it.. As long as they do, the ocean will get raped... Simply too much money to be made, and THATS the priority...