NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

More Bucktailing Tips - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Site Moderator

Default Re: Advic on BuckTailing For Fluke Needed

10-15# braid tied directly to a small swivel; tie a 3' leader to the white or glow bucktail (size already mentioned) and tie a 1' leader from the swivel to the teaser.

Some peepz tie the braid to mono/flouro top shot and tie a dropper loop or figure 8 for the teaser above it (1-2').

The color of the bucktail doesn't matter AT ALL; as long as it's white! I mentioned the brand I use. The paint holds up long, the bucktail doesn't pull out and the hooks stay sharp long. That plus Joe does make some of his jigs with the aforementioned swivel already on the hook; convenient! His products are for sale in tackle shops in Brielle and Point Pleasant; PM for exact names.

OPPS.........first two pics are a recent dinner; broccoli/cheese pasta, yellow corn (yes left over from flounder season), broiled scallops and monkfish with a couple slices of rare fillet mignon roasted and sliced.

next two are some Mai Tai Bucktail Jigs. Notice that most are white or glow. the second is a Black Bart carry case which keeps the sizes seperated (thanks for sharing the info Backdoor). it rolls up small for easy handling then rolls out to pick your next donation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0208.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	12103   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0209.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	12104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0210.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	12105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0211.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	12106  
NJ DEVILS
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach

OPPS.........first two pics are a recent dinner; broccoli/cheese pasta, yellow corn (yes left over from flounder season), broiled scallops and monkfish
mike, i'm assuming you did the cooking, next time pan roast the scallops. basically let them cook on one side till it get's nice and brown (carmalizing the natural sugars), start pan on high, and turn down to med, med-low and let them go, probably a a break down of 75% and 25% of cooking time for each side. centers should be warm and about med-rare/ med. i don't want to tell you how to eat or how to cook, just making a suggestion . or you could put the scallops closer to the atual heating element on the broiler (don't know if your using gas or elec) with a small pat of butter.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Site Moderator

steve

did exactly what YOU suggested 2 days later.

I was broiling the monkfish in butter, fresh lemon and chopped garlic. I tossed the scallops in for the last ten minutes; turning them after 6 minutes.
NJ DEVILS
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

10 lb braid and spro buck tails all colors work
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Mike,

Thanks for the follow up. I know what I will be using next time out!

And that dinner looked delicious!

If you guys are ever looking for someone to a fill a spot on one of your trips,

please consider me.That would rock!

Tight lines

Ken
Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive bucktailed the last two years with a set up very similar to Mike's, and Ive been very successful...This year I have been using a completely different method with alot of sucess...First off I primarily fish the raritan bay and inshore areas of sandy hook...My set up consists of 10 lb braid on what some would call a beefed up trout rod or flounder rod...I use very light bucktails (no more than an ounce) with a teaser tied about a foot or two up from the bucktail and i always tip it with gulp swimming mullet...I let my jig hit the bottom and instead of engaging my reel, I simply hold the line...I jig the bucktail with a range of hops... (anywhere from 3" to 2')... as i jig i feel for the jig to hit the bottom...once it does (every 10 or so hops) i release the line for a few seconds to make sure to keep the bait in the strike zone and repeat the process until i get hit...most of my hits are pretty far off the bottom as the jig rarely touches the bottom...and for some reason (probably just luck) my keeper ratio has deffiently improved this season on my boat and on party boats...i always use white, glow, chartrouse, and pink (in the ocean)...this method is effective in 4 ft to upwards of 40ft of water...
Whats really cool about this method is how hard the fluke hit the bucktail and teaser...They come flying off the bottom and crush it...there really are only a few missed fish...I love bucktailing and i know if i have one bad day im going back to the old fashion way... but right now it is working for me...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

In the bay light 10 pound power pro tied directly to a 3/8's white bullet type jig with a strip of mackerel or spearing the more straight up or down the better just a slight bounce of the bottom and never let them have it. Same for the ocean just a 1 to 4oz. hot lips, more then 4 oz. and its time for the fluke rig.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

LAB -

When you use a teaser, did you say you tie a foot from swivel? Is that a on a separate line or do you use a dropper loop on same line as line you have bucktail on?

I always use a single line of fluro off my braid/swivel with dropper loop 12-18 inches above the bucktail and a foot down from swivel.

By the way, this is a useful thread!

Thanks

Al
Old 06-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Site Moderator

Al

try both

see which one fouls less, for YOU.

when I do seperate lines.....I use a swivel.
when I do dropper loop......I tie mono to the braid; no swivel.
NJ DEVILS
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes this is a great thread and thanks to everyone willing to contribute - I learned alot from it and it is very cool that people are willing to offer suggestions

By the way that meal looks outstanding and must of even tasted better - Lifes a Beach

G- OUT