NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Summer Foul-Weather Gear? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-16-2015, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Summer Foul-Weather Gear?

Hi guys
Wondering what water-proof foul-weather gear you guys are wearing off-shore from late spring to early fall?
Are the white Grundens bibs & jacket stiil the preferred option?
Are there lighter, more comfortable, perhpas breathable options now?
Any and all input greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
JD
Old 05-17-2015, 03:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Summer Foul-Weather Gear?

Grundens is always a standard good choice. Columbia also makes a bib more like you are looking for in the breathable version. I use Carhartt's which have held up great for me for several years now and run a little less than the Grundens...
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 05-17-2015, 04:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Grundens are a little heavy for summer use for my liking. Carhartt (R79) and Helly Hansen make a lighter version and both are a lot cheaper then Grundens. Color I think is a personal choice, but yes white is "in style" i guess you can say right now, lol.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys.

I was sold on the Gage until I read some recent reports and reviews.

First I was reminded that breathables only breathe when they are clean (see above, thanks) and that they are harder to clean than PVC/Rubber.

Next I read that Gage aren’t water-proof. A local tackle shop reports that they struggle to sty dry in a down poor or even leaning against a wet surface. They go on to write that Gage should not be the go-to when going off-shore. For light-weight water-proof they recomend Grundens Petrus series as several of you did above.

While they couldn’t be as light and cool as Gage, I’m leaning towards Petrus based on these issues. I figure in a warm intermittent light drizzel & or spray I’ll just get wet, change my clothes when it stops or on the way in. In steady down-poor or chilly sloppy conditions I want water-proof.

On the otherhand I am thinking about what MrAC wrote above. I have owned the Carhartt and shredded them. Are the Helly Hansen versions you’re reffering to the “Impertech” bibs?

Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

JD
Old 05-19-2015, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The carhartts I had lasted me a probably 4-5 seasons before they started to wear and get holes in the seams, corners, etc. I just got the HH ones mainly because they came in white vs the carhartts that only come typically in green and orange. If you're not in a rush I can check this weekend what model they are when I get down to the boat.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I must be fortunate, my Carhartt's are now 8+ years old and lasting great! Wear then frequently and clean after each wear. AND, best of all I can still fit into them after all these years of ups and downs body sizing!! I do like the fact that they are not as heavy as others and waterproof is not an issue....
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com